#instantbird log on 06 10 2014

All times are UTC.

00:23:10 <-- Fallen|away has quit (Ping timeout)
00:23:25 --> mconley has joined #instantbird
00:27:09 --> Fallen|away has joined #instantbird
00:29:05 <-- mpmc has quit (Quit: Instantbird 1.6a1pre -- http://www.instantbird.com)
00:40:55 <-- Armada has quit (Connection reset by peer)
00:42:25 <clokep> EionRobb: Do you know if there's any way to have a prpl return a conversation given a set of chatroom fields? It seems like it creates it async and then notifies the UI of a created conversation...I'm talking about a sync method.
00:43:04 <EionRobb> lemme check
00:43:09 <clokep> Thanks. :)
00:43:18 <clokep> I get really lost in the libpurple docs. :-[
00:43:25 <-- mconley has quit (Connection timed out)
00:44:04 --> mconley has joined #instantbird
00:46:30 <EionRobb> they're great if you already know what you're going to do and how you're going to do it and don't need the docs ;)
00:46:41 <clokep> (Context is bug 1014472 btw.)
00:46:44 <instantbot> Bug https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1014472 nor, --, ---, aleth, ASSI, Support automatic MUC reconnection for all protocols
00:47:09 <clokep> Hah, yeah. Sonuds like most docs.
00:50:05 <EionRobb> clokep: doesn't returning a new conversation based on chatroom fields imply that the join was successful.... or are you trying to do a lookup of existing conversations?
00:50:53 <-- mconley has quit (Ping timeout)
00:51:32 <-- Mook_as has quit (Quit: Mook_as)
00:52:21 <clokep> EionRobb: For Instantbird the conversation doesn't have to be successfully joined.
00:52:34 <EionRobb> in libpurple it does, I think :)
00:52:36 <clokep> Looking it up for an existing conversation might work too though?
00:52:39 <clokep> Yeah, I think so.
00:52:54 <EionRobb> you can look for a PurpleConversation by it's name and with the CHat type
00:53:00 <clokep> OK, so given a conversatoin...is there a way to get the chatroom fields that were used to join it?
00:53:13 <EionRobb> I think there's that too, yes
00:53:27 <clokep> Ah, that should work! :)
00:54:42 <clokep> Any idea what the API is called? :P
00:56:07 <EionRobb> :O nope, I was wrong there. sorry
00:56:35 <EionRobb> no, hold on... might be part of the prpl code rather than conversation/server
00:56:53 <EionRobb> I don't normally deal with UI stuff, so I'm rusty :)
00:57:10 <clokep> (Btw that's generally my issue -- I never know where to look, is it server? conversation? prpl? something else crazier?)
00:57:45 <EionRobb> ah yeah, so you call the get_chat_name in the prpl with the hashtable of the components, it gives you the name of the conv, which you can then use to look up the converstaion by name/chat-type
00:58:22 <EionRobb> no, that's opposite of what you're looking for :)
01:00:25 <clokep> haha.
01:01:03 <EionRobb> maybe you could join the chat, then straight away get the chat name, then use that to check for new conversations that open?
01:01:12 <EionRobb> I wonder how the pidgin ui does it
01:01:29 <EionRobb> I think it stores the details in the blist node
01:01:50 <clokep> Hm...maybe.
01:01:56 <EionRobb> yes it does, in a PurpleChat blistnode
01:02:26 <EionRobb> well, in the libpurple blist, not in the pidgin gtkblist
01:02:27 <clokep> Are you looking at that code that you can link me or?
01:02:45 <EionRobb> I'm looking in blist.h right now, just browsing source on my machine :)
01:03:15 <EionRobb> purple_chat_get_components   gets the components of a PurpleChat
01:03:33 <EionRobb> they should have called it PurpleBlistChat to help differentiate it from PurpleConvChat
01:03:40 <EionRobb> or PurpleBlistChatNode or something
01:03:40 --> mconley has joined #instantbird
01:04:11 <clokep> Cool, Thanks.
01:06:47 <clokep> EionRobb: Actually...that function looks like exactly what I want, no?
01:07:20 <EionRobb> maybe?   its not a PurpleConversation though, that's PurpleConvChat.  it's a buddy list node
01:07:47 <EionRobb> if I had to guess what you're up to, its exactly what you want and requires no further input from your humble Eion  ;)
01:08:03 <clokep> hahaha.
01:08:07 <EionRobb> my guess is you're making a libpurple based porcupine though
01:08:13 <EionRobb> it'll never work!  you're a mad man!
01:09:59 <clokep> Hah.
01:11:11 * nhnt11 is never sure if his tests are really working or not
01:13:59 <clokep> That's not good. :)
01:14:48 <EionRobb> need a test tester
01:15:34 <-- Rym has quit (Ping timeout)
01:15:55 --> Rym has joined #instantbird
01:17:31 <clokep> Bah, there's a purple_serv_got_join_chat_failed that returns the hashtable used, but not the success one. :P
01:17:33 <clokep> That's silly.
01:17:44 <EionRobb> well then you know the details to change :)
01:31:15 <-- mconley has quit (Connection timed out)
01:31:51 --> mconley has joined #instantbird
02:15:56 <-- mconley has quit (Ping timeout)
02:23:55 <-- clokep has quit (Quit: Instantbird 1.6a1pre -- http://www.instantbird.com)
02:29:40 --> mconley has joined #instantbird
02:55:18 <-- EionRobb has quit (Ping timeout)
02:59:11 --> EionRobb has joined #instantbird
03:25:42 <-- Rym has quit (Ping timeout)
03:27:25 <-- mconley has quit (Quit: NO CARRIER)
03:29:21 --> mconley has joined #instantbird
04:02:30 <-- nhnt11 has quit (Ping timeout)
04:06:55 --> nhnt11 has joined #instantbird
04:11:34 <-- mconley has quit (Input/output error)
04:42:00 --> mconley has joined #instantbird
04:49:53 <-- mconley has quit (Ping timeout)
05:13:44 <-- Tonnes has quit (Quit: ChatZilla [Firefox 29.0.1/20140506152807])
05:34:38 --> Tonnes has joined #instantbird
05:55:19 --> jb has joined #instantbird
06:10:32 <-- EionRobb has quit (Quit: Leaving.)
06:10:53 --> EionRobb has joined #instantbird
06:15:09 <-- EionRobb has quit (Ping timeout)
06:21:14 <nhnt11> Bah, I missed a few comments I think
06:24:29 <sawrubh> Morning!
06:24:51 <nhnt11> sawrubh: o/
06:25:04 * nhnt11 was going to bed in a few minutes :P
06:30:21 <nhnt11> "Night"!
06:30:25 <sawrubh> hah
06:35:20 * nhnt11 is back
06:35:23 <nhnt11> Need to write a blog post :]
06:38:11 <-- jb has quit (Ping timeout)
07:33:38 --> mpmc has joined #instantbird
07:37:06 --> gerard-majax_ has joined #instantbird
07:38:16 --> EionRobb has joined #instantbird
07:39:55 <-- nhnt11 has quit (Quit: Instantbird 1.6a1pre -- http://www.instantbird.com)
07:40:04 --> nhnt11 has joined #instantbird
07:43:58 --> jb has joined #instantbird
07:57:32 --> Armada has joined #instantbird
07:59:57 --> mayanktg has joined #instantbird
09:02:16 <-- flo-retina has quit (Ping timeout)
09:06:22 <-- gerard-majax_ has quit (Ping timeout)
09:19:33 --> mconley has joined #instantbird
09:21:22 <-- mconley has quit (Ping timeout)
09:40:28 --> BWMerlin has joined #instantbird
09:45:49 <-- mpmc has quit (Quit: Instantbird 1.6a1pre -- http://www.instantbird.com)
09:47:49 --> flo-retina has joined #instantbird
09:47:49 * ChanServ sets mode +qo flo-retina flo-retina 
09:48:22 <-- flo-retina has quit (Quit: Instantbird 1.6a1pre -- http://www.instantbird.com)
09:48:29 --> flo-retina has joined #instantbird
09:48:30 * ChanServ sets mode +qo flo-retina flo-retina 
09:49:50 <flo-retina> hello :)
09:55:16 <mayanktg> Good afternoon :)
10:02:38 --> sawrubh|ib has joined #instantbird
10:04:50 --> gerard-majax_ has joined #instantbird
10:20:19 --> clokep has joined #instantbird
10:20:19 * ChanServ sets mode +o clokep 
10:23:07 <-- mayanktg has quit (Ping timeout)
10:23:09 --> mayanktg has joined #instantbird
10:24:49 --> aleth_web has joined #instantbird
10:26:32 <sawrubh|ib> aleth_web: hey
10:26:42 <sawrubh|ib> clokep: Morning :)
10:30:27 <mayanktg> aleth_web: I and Mic had a discussion regarding whether to add separate folders or not. He said it is out of scope of the bug and we should rather file a separate bug for this(having OS specific folders for icons). 
10:33:08 <aleth_web> I understand. I agree with him about the scope in principle, but in practice it's just adding work for the future imho.
10:34:25 <aleth_web> Anyway, Mic's the reviewer here so we'll go with his decision. I just disagreed with it in the bug ;)
10:34:50 <mayanktg> Hehe Ok :) 
10:35:34 <mayanktg> Seems recreating SDP is fun...
10:38:52 --> Mic has joined #instantbird
10:38:52 * ChanServ sets mode +o Mic 
10:43:34 <-- mayanktg has quit (Ping timeout)
10:48:49 <flo-retina> aleth_web: " There are two conventions for this, one is the older one used by (most of) IB and one is the newer one with OS-specific folders (now) used by TB and FX." it's actually more complicated than that
10:49:25 <flo-retina> the old convention is to have OS specific themes (each of them being more or less a fork of the others).
10:50:06 <flo-retina> For Instantbird I decided to ignore that, because most of our theming code is shared across all the 3 platforms, so that would have caused painful duplication that I didn't want to handle... and I preferred going the ifdef way.
10:50:39 <flo-retina> Now, the _new_ convention for Firefox is to have a "shared" folder with as much stuff as possible, and OS-specific additions in OS-specific folders. That makes much more sense, and I would like us to migrate to it at some point.
10:51:22 --> mayanktg has joined #instantbird
10:53:00 <aleth_web> Yes.
10:53:58 <aleth_web> Imho making new stuff follow the new approach makes sense, especially where it is copied from m-c (we shouldn't change stuff from new to old).
10:55:36 --> sonny has joined #instantbird
10:55:40 <sawrubh|ib> clokep: let me know my new comments makes things clearer
10:55:51 <-- EionRobb has quit (Quit: Leaving.)
10:55:54 <flo-retina> aleth_web: I think we should also reorganise our stuff
10:56:20 <aleth_web> flo-retina: Agreed, but that's definitely another bug ;)
10:56:33 <flo-retina> 1. create a "shared" folder 2. move most of our stuff to it. 3. Create OS specific folders with reasonable names and get rid of the ifdefs.
10:58:16 <sawrubh|ib> clokep: and sorry for squishing my comments :P
11:03:39 <-- clokep has quit (Quit: Instantbird 1.6a1pre -- http://www.instantbird.com)
11:36:55 <flo-retina> https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=995610 :(
11:36:58 <instantbot> Bug 995610 nor, --, ---, evilpies, ASSI, Warn about shorthand function syntax
11:37:58 <aleth_web> That's just weird.
11:39:26 <aleth_web> I don't understand why you'd want to get rid of that.
11:45:46 <-- Even has quit (Ping timeout)
11:46:19 --> Even has joined #instantbird
11:46:19 * ChanServ sets mode +o Even 
11:54:57 --> clokep_work has joined #instantbird
11:54:57 * ChanServ sets mode +o clokep_work 
11:57:07 <flo-retina> aleth_web: "because it's not standard"
11:57:15 * flo-retina replied in the thread
11:59:28 <-- mayanktg has quit (Ping timeout)
12:00:59 <-- Mic has quit (Ping timeout)
12:01:08 --> mayanktg has joined #instantbird
12:01:15 --> Mic has joined #instantbird
12:01:15 * ChanServ sets mode +o Mic 
12:02:02 <-- BWMerlin has quit (Quit: BWMerlin)
12:05:56 <clokep_work> What thread?
12:14:47 <instantbot> New Instantbird - Other bug 1023184 filed by benediktp@ymail.com.
12:14:48 <instantbot> Bug https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1023184 nor, --, ---, nobody, NEW, Reorganize themes to use shared and OS specific rules and files
12:20:42 <clokep_work> sawrubh|ib: By churn I mean "sorry I gave kind of crappy comments earlier that meant you had to keep changing things"
12:25:56 <clokep_work> sawrubh|ib: Let me know when you're back.
12:26:49 <sawrubh|ib> I'm here!
12:27:09 <clokep_work> sawrubh|ib: This handlers.css change is still very confusing to me. I don't understand what it has to do with TB.
12:27:37 <clokep_work> Or how it has any bearing on gApplicationsPane.
12:29:12 <clokep_work> aleth_web: Btw I think you can send things w/o a resource, it just means the server decides which resource(s) to send it to.
12:29:31 <flo-retina> clokep_work: the thread on the firefox-dev list about https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=995610
12:29:33 <instantbot> Bug 995610 nor, --, ---, evilpies, ASSI, Warn about shorthand function syntax
12:31:17 <sawrubh|ib> ok, so applications.js (which I copied from TB and renamed as fileTransfer.js in IB) had gApplicationsPane because in TB they combine both the Applications pane (incoming tab) and FileLink pane (outgoing tab) since I didn't need the incoming tab I removed all the stuff related to it from fileTransfers,js (which included removing the gApplicationsPane thingy)
12:32:03 <sawrubh|ib> now, with the css being as it was, the fileTransfer.xul's richlistitem;s got styled by handler.css, expected the binding but found a missing gApplicationsPane
12:32:19 <sawrubh|ib> http://mxr.mozilla.org/comm-central/source/im/content/preferences/handlers.xml#45
12:33:10 <sawrubh|ib> so then I had to make sure the css bindings didn't get applied to fileTransfers.xul (for which you see the change)
12:33:11 <aleth_web> clokep_work: mayanktg claims he needs a full JID here or he gets an error
12:33:23 <sawrubh|ib> which part of above didn't make sense (then I'll explain that)
12:33:29 <aleth_web> clokep_work: I have not tested it myself.
12:33:35 <sawrubh|ib> probably aleth_web could help if I'm not able to explain
12:33:51 <flo-retina> aleth_web: it makes sense that you need a resource to start a direct connection with another client
12:34:08 <aleth_web> flo-retina: It does.
12:34:08 <clokep_work> Ah, I'm not on that mailing list.
12:34:09 <flo-retina> for text messages, you can send without resource and the server decides (or routes the message to all resources)
12:34:15 <mayanktg> clokep_work: We need a resource to send the stanza to the user, else the stanza is not sent and I get an error stanza instead. I talked to kev in jdev regarding this. He told me that we need a full JID there.
12:34:16 * clokep_work is annoyed they switched from using the newsgroup.
12:34:22 <flo-retina> clokep_work: if you aren't developing Firefox, you may not need it
12:35:38 <clokep_work> sawrubh|ib: So how does TB deal with this issue???
12:35:43 <clokep_work> Or does it not have this issue?
12:36:17 <sawrubh|ib> it does not have this issue
12:36:23 <clokep_work> It seems kind of wrong to me that we're overwriting richlistitem to be a different binding.
12:36:25 <sawrubh|ib> because it has gApplicationsPane defined
12:36:27 <flo-retina> mayanktg: so why are you not using a full JID?
12:36:41 <clokep_work> sawrubh|ib: OK, now you just lost me again. :-S
12:37:18 <flo-retina> clokep_work: richlistitem is kind of designed to be overridden
12:37:53 <mayanktg> flo-retina: I'm using |this.to| to send the stanza. But since I haven't received anything before from the client the _targetResource is set to "".
12:39:08 <sawrubh|ib> ah, I see now what might be confusing you, that the css gets applied in the case of TB and does something and we're not doing that something in the IB case
12:39:27 <mayanktg> flo-retina: Else I'm getting the full JID. As aleth_web said, I'll need to first ask for requestBuddyInfo  and then I'll be able to use |this.to| .
12:39:39 <flo-retina> mayanktg: what happens if you have exchanged text messages before?
12:40:05 <flo-retina> what does requestBuddyInfo has to do with that?
12:40:09 <mayanktg> flo-retina: If I've exchanged text message before I'm able to get a Full JID. 
12:40:13 <aleth_web> I didn't say you should use requestBuddyInfo, I said you should look into ways you might be able to get the resource.
12:40:16 <flo-retina> if the buddy is in your contact list, you already have received the presence info
12:40:41 <aleth_web> I mentioned that as an example.
12:40:52 <flo-retina> does it even make sense to place a call without having talked to the person before?
12:41:14 <mayanktg> aleth_web: Sorry. yes it was an example. 
12:41:18 <flo-retina> hmm, if people want to use it as a phone maybe
12:41:29 <aleth_web> I can see a use case for it.
12:41:38 <aleth_web> mayanktg: The tip to look at the presence stanzas is a good one.
12:42:08 <mayanktg> aleth_web: Yeah. I was seeing the account's debug log..
12:42:20 <clokep_work> sawrubh|ib: OK, so. . .what binding DOES get applied on the file transfer page?
12:44:59 <sawrubh|ib> I'll have to check DOMi, but there was something in richlistbox.xml
12:46:41 <sawrubh|ib> I think only this one : http://mxr.mozilla.org/comm-central/source/im/content/preferences/handlers.xml#19
12:47:50 <mayanktg> aleth_web: Yes. I'm receiving a presence stanza for the the account. So I should set the _targetResource on receiving the presence stanza? 
12:48:15 <flo-retina> no
12:48:43 <aleth_web> It's important you get the same resource that will be used for messages in the conversation.
12:49:08 <flo-retina> you can't know which one that is. But you should at least be able to pick the 'most available' one
12:49:37 <flo-retina> or you should start a separate call to each of the available resources and cancel at soon as one has replied :-/
12:50:17 <mayanktg> I don't understand what "most available" means :( .
12:50:45 <flo-retina> mayanktg: that means if one resource is "available" and one is "do not disturb", you should pick the available one.
12:51:09 <clokep_work> sawrubh|ib: So it's just a pure richlistitem?
12:51:19 <mayanktg> flo-retina: got it :)
12:52:29 <flo-retina> mayanktg: you can see that we save all the presence info: http://lxr.instantbird.org/instantbird/source/chat/protocols/xmpp/xmpp.jsm#534
12:56:31 <clokep_work> sawrubh|ib: OK, I think I understand. Thanks for explaining.
12:57:44 <mayanktg> flo-retina: Yes. So what should I exactly do for creating a full JID? Start a call --> check for received presence stanza of the buddy --> if the resource matches --> set the _targetResource .
12:59:55 <aleth_web> If _targetResource is already set, you don't have to do anything.
13:01:15 <-- Mic has quit (Quit: Instantbird -- http://www.instantbird.com)
13:02:20 <mayanktg> aleth_web: Yes. I was asking about the condition when we need to set the _targetResource.  
13:03:28 <aleth_web> OK (though I don't know what you mean by "if the resource matches")
13:04:43 <-- sawrubh|ib has quit (Quit: sawrubh|ib)
13:06:06 <mayanktg> It means the resource should be the one we are currently having conversation on.
13:08:20 <aleth_web> mayanktg: I don't know why you're seeing Error: iqContent['@@iterator'] is not a function
13:10:11 --> rosonline has joined #instantbird
13:10:45 <aleth_web> It's weird. Probably something to do with returning arrays from JS modules , but I'm sure I've done that before without difficulties.
13:11:20 <mayanktg> aleth_web: I'll try to find out what's causing the error. iqContent should be an array since I'm using iqContent[i] just in the code below :-/
13:11:27 <flo-retina> aleth_web: could this be because an object is a NodeIterator rather than a real array?
13:12:50 <aleth_web> Not quite, but you gave me the right idea to check :)
13:13:17 <aleth_web> mayanktg: I'll reply in the bug.
13:13:32 <mayanktg> aleth_web: Ok. :)
13:17:04 <mayanktg> btw I'm able to get almost all (4 left) elements from the iq stanza now. I need to  join these elements in proper order :-|
13:17:59 <mayanktg> aleth_web: Seen! wait let me use that :)
13:20:08 --> mconley has joined #instantbird
13:21:51 <-- mconley has quit (Ping timeout)
13:22:23 <clokep_work> sawrubh: ping
13:22:25 <clokep_work> Where'd you go?
13:24:03 <sawrubh> Sorry on co-driver's seat, going home
13:24:13 <sawrubh> Pong comfortably in 10min
13:24:25 <sawrubh> Anything urgent?
13:25:31 <mayanktg> aleth_web: You were right :) Fixed that up. 
13:30:56 <clokep_work> sawrubh: No, we were just in the middle of a conversation. :P
13:33:15 --> Mic has joined #instantbird
13:33:15 * ChanServ sets mode +o Mic 
13:34:29 <aleth_web> mayanktg: Make sure you add tests for your xml2sdp too (you can add them to the existing test file).
13:37:35 <mayanktg> aleth_web: Yes. I'll write a test for it too. I'll try to finish writing the function today and then go for the tests.
13:37:52 <aleth_web> It should not take long as you can use the same data in reverse ;)
13:41:21 <mayanktg> yepp :)
13:49:48 --> iamjayakumars has joined #instantbird
13:50:27 <nhnt11> Hi
13:53:45 <nhnt11> aleth_web: Did you get a chance to see the new tests patch? I kinda think test_logging is slightly hard to read
13:54:13 <aleth_web> nhnt11: Yes, it was too complicated for an instant review ;)
14:01:27 <-- mayanktg has quit (Ping timeout)
14:06:20 --> mayanktg has joined #instantbird
14:08:50 <-- mayanktg has quit (Ping timeout)
14:09:32 --> mayanktg has joined #instantbird
14:28:21 <nhnt11> aleth_web, flo-retina: Any particular recommendations on what to do next? I'm going to finish off the IB UI patch and then I'll be waiting for reviews.
14:29:31 <aleth_web> nhnt11: I suggested moving on to log indexing.
14:29:40 <nhnt11> Yeah.
14:30:40 <nhnt11> I want to start messing with databases, but was wondering if anyone had any compelling reasons to work on the convbrowser instead at this point (I don't think flo ever replied to http://log.bezut.info/instantbird/yesterday/#m968?)
14:30:42 <aleth_web> While you carry on familiarizing yourself with the message flow and conversation.xml/convbrowser in parallel.
14:30:59 <nhnt11> Okay!
14:33:13 * clokep_work thinks it's been more than ten minutes since sawrubh said he'd be online.
14:34:15 <aleth_web> If/when you really feel ready to redesign the way messages flow to allow for infinite scroll, then start up an etherpad and/or some sketches ;) I thought the discussions for that could happen in parallel to writing actual code for indexing, what do you think?
14:35:13 <-- Mic has quit (Ping timeout)
14:40:03 <nhnt11> aleth_web: Sounds good. What sketches? Are we implementing new UI? :S
14:40:06 <nhnt11> Or did you mean flow charts?
14:40:37 <aleth_web> I meant flow charts showing the API between the various objects (what requests what and gets passed what etc...)
14:40:46 <nhnt11> okay, cool
14:41:45 <aleth_web> As an initial UI for log indexing/search, modifying the existing log viewer should be enough
14:42:15 <sawrubh> clokep_work: sorry, I just came back
14:42:31 <nhnt11> Yeah. Adding an awesometab-esque search bar and filtering the tree should do I suppose.
14:42:46 <sawrubh> I thought you said that it was clear to you why that change was required so I thought the conversation was over :)
14:42:52 <aleth_web> There's already a search bar, and yeah filtering the tree sounds good.
14:43:09 --> mconley has joined #instantbird
14:43:13 <nhnt11> aleth_web: Can that be reused? I thought that was the findbar for a browser
14:43:23 <nhnt11> (i.e. it searches within stuff already loaded into the browser)
14:43:35 <aleth_web> It is. But it might have to be replaced/extended. Not sure...
14:43:53 <aleth_web> Having /two/ findbars seems overkill ;)
14:44:07 <nhnt11> We need to at least move it, because its current location doesn't make it obvious that you can search all logs at once.
14:44:14 --> Mic has joined #instantbird
14:44:14 * ChanServ sets mode +o Mic 
14:44:15 <nhnt11> Certainly not two findbars :)
14:44:27 <nhnt11> I was suggesting putting a big searchbar at the top and getting rid of the findbar.
14:44:58 <aleth_web> That sounds OK too.
14:45:37 <-- Tonnes has quit (Connection reset by peer)
14:45:57 <nhnt11> aleth_web: So as a first step, today I'll look at forking the log sweeping code and building a database out of the existing logs. Sound ok?
14:46:13 --> Tonnes has joined #instantbird
14:46:42 <aleth_web> nhnt11: Talk to flo-retina first about his experiences/ideas around indexing
14:46:51 <nhnt11> Okay.
14:48:17 <sawrubh> clokep_work: do we need to discuss something else too?
14:50:01 <nhnt11> brb
14:50:16 <nhnt11> That might actually be a "bbl", dinner time. ^
14:50:36 <aleth_web> nhnt11: btw the log sweeping code could do with some Tasks ;)
14:53:51 <clokep_work> sawrubh: You never responded though. What have you been workingo n today?
14:57:00 <sawrubh> Some personal things needed attention, I'll be working during the night today ( which is in an hour)
14:57:42 <sawrubh> I mean the night is right now but I'll be able to concentrate more in an hour
15:01:19 <clokep_work> Alright.
15:02:00 <clokep_work> sawrubh: What're your plans to work on today then? :P
15:02:18 <-- rosonline has quit (Ping timeout)
15:08:39 <sawrubh> Choosing a sample spec (like XEP 96 or some other) and seeing how they create an interface and then implement in xmpp
15:09:24 <mayanktg> aleth_web: I have converted upto this stage http://pastebin.instantbird.com/733340 I will continue after dinner.
15:09:42 <-- mayanktg has quit (Quit: Instantbird 1.6a1pre -- http://www.instantbird.com)
15:10:22 <aleth_web> sawrubh: If you think your filelink patch is ready, isn't it time to change the URIs to chrome://chat?
15:10:23 <sawrubh> clokep_work: can we talk about this in half hour please, sorry
15:10:45 <clokep_work> aleth_web: Wait.
15:10:46 <clokep_work> Please.
15:11:17 <clokep_work> I'm unsure if that patch is supposed to include those changes or not.
15:11:36 <sawrubh> aleth_web: sorry I'll reply in sometime sorry
15:18:46 <clokep_work> Hmm...changing the chrome stuff might break extensions, by the way.
15:22:23 <aleth_web> Hmm... that's true :-/
15:22:40 <aleth_web> sawrubh could look at the Dropbox addon as an example.
15:24:03 <aleth_web> In fact that has to be done anyway (his patch changes management.* and addons will have those too)
15:26:13 <clokep_work> Those only need to be updated to be compatible with Instantbird, not necessarily to work still.
15:27:31 <aleth_web> It has to be checked the TB addons still work in TB though after the changes.
15:27:42 <aleth_web> Thanks for bringing that up, I hadn't considered that. :-S
15:36:30 <-- mconley has quit (Connection reset by peer)
15:36:45 --> mconley has joined #instantbird
15:50:35 <-- flo-retina has quit (Ping timeout)
15:50:48 --> arlolra has joined #instantbird
15:51:15 --> flo-retina has joined #instantbird
15:51:15 * ChanServ sets mode +qo flo-retina flo-retina 
15:55:47 <-- sonny has quit (Ping timeout)
16:02:07 <-- iamjayakumars has quit (Quit: )
16:04:04 <-- jb has quit (Ping timeout)
16:06:59 <clokep_work> So I'm tempted to say we should just land that bug about adding chat room fields everywhere without support for libpurple.
16:07:10 <clokep_work> As I believe that will just cause us to not rejoin those channels, which is the current behavior.
16:09:18 <clokep_work> aleth_web, flo-retina: If that's OK w/ you, I've already tested the patch and can r+ it.
16:10:25 <clokep_work> For bug 1014472 (took a while to find...)
16:10:27 <instantbot> Bug https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1014472 nor, --, ---, aleth, ASSI, Support automatic MUC reconnection for all protocols
16:10:57 <aleth_web> I'm OK with that. Thanks for discussing the issue with EionRobb, it looks like it would be a bit of work to understand/implement that and it can be done separately. I'd rather land this and your dependent patch soon.
16:12:44 * flo-retina would still like to have a look
16:12:51 <flo-retina> but yeah, OK for landing it without libpurple support
16:12:55 <aleth_web> flo-retina: Review ping on bug 955000, should be straightforward iirc
16:12:58 <instantbot> Bug https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=955000 enh, --, ---, aleth, ASSI, Add someone as a buddy directly from an open conversation
16:13:03 * aleth_web fears bitrot
16:13:53 <flo-retina> not now
16:43:16 --> mayanktg has joined #instantbird
16:51:07 <-- gerard-majax_ has quit (Ping timeout)
16:54:20 --> Mook_as has joined #instantbird
16:54:24 <-- mayanktg has quit (Client exited)
16:54:34 --> mayanktg has joined #instantbird
17:01:24 <-- mconley has quit (Input/output error)
17:03:07 --> mconley has joined #instantbird
17:04:31 <-- flo-retina has quit (Quit: Instantbird 1.6a1pre -- http://www.instantbird.com)
17:04:40 --> sawrubh|ib has joined #instantbird
17:05:44 * sawrubh|ib checks the logs
17:09:50 <sawrubh|ib> aleth_web: so do I need to change the chrome urls to chrome://chat, I mean TB is functioning alright right now (the addons would need the changes however which I made to the management.js files)
17:10:21 <aleth_web> sawrubh|ib: No, we discussed it and decided not to change it to avoid breaking addons.
17:10:38 <aleth_web> However, you still need to test the add-ons!
17:10:41 <sawrubh|ib> but they would be broken anyhow
17:10:59 <sawrubh|ib> because the fileSpaceUsed function they used to get from ....
17:11:11 * sawrubh|ib checks
17:11:53 <clokep_work> sawrubh|ib: They'll be broken /in Instantbird/, we want to ensure they still work /in Thunderbird.
17:12:33 <sawrubh|ib> ah, got it! They should still work in TB (just taking a guess)
17:12:48 --> mpmc has joined #instantbird
17:12:52 * sawrubh|ib will probably just download the compiled binaries from teh try run and test in that
17:13:01 <sawrubh|ib> rather than compiling myself
17:14:14 <clokep_work> sawrubh|ib: Yes, seems reasonable. :) mconle y's dropbox add-on is on AMO, so give it a try.
17:17:27 <sawrubh|ib> wow, the tests and crashreporter are 91 and 31 mb's, just saying
17:22:46 <sawrubh|ib> clokep_work: http://pastebin.instantbird.com/733403 is the WIP patch for drag and drop (I've added notifbox in this compared to the version that's up on BZ)
17:23:13 <clokep_work> OK.
17:23:41 <clokep_work> sawrubh|ib: So if you haven't figured it out I don't like the "Notif" abbreviation. :-D
17:23:43 <sawrubh|ib> my plan was to show buttons to choose the provider (since I didn't want to go down the route of adding dropdowns to notifboxes using Mic's mthod)
17:24:14 <clokep_work> You're going to add a button per provider? :-S
17:24:19 <clokep_work> I think Mic's suggestion sounds nicer.
17:24:25 <aleth_web> Doesn't TB have a notification box where it asks the user whether she wants to use Filelink?
17:24:33 <aleth_web> Can't that be reused?
17:24:52 <clokep_work> aleth_web: It just asks if you WANT to use it, and then it prompts you to choose a provider from a listbox.
17:24:58 <clokep_work> Modal dialog style. 8-)
17:24:59 <sawrubh|ib> but I just realized that with addons like the ones for dropbox, we might have too many buttons
17:25:06 <aleth_web> argh, modal.
17:25:49 <clokep_work> sawrubh|ib: So maybe let's just discuss this theoretically real quick. I drag a file onto the window. Bring me step by step through what happens. (Mock ups work too if you're inclined, but don't polisht hem much)
17:25:58 <sawrubh|ib> clokep_work: I'll have to look at what Mic suggested then, since earlier I was planning to not spend too much time on gettign the dropdown working
17:26:20 <sawrubh|ib> since this UI is still not too concrete
17:26:57 <sawrubh|ib> or do we want to decide more concretely for the future too (when protocol support lands) now
17:27:50 <clokep_work> sawrubh|ib: Well I'd prefer not to ahve something we just throw away!
17:28:01 <clokep_work> So using it for the error messages is a must. :)
17:28:13 <clokep_work> (Which I see you did, good! I'd like to see a screenshot if that's OK.)
17:28:44 <aleth_web> sawrubh|ib, clokep_work: Support for dropdowns in notificationboxes may land in toolkit soon, cf bug 942436. Lets not duplicate this
17:28:46 <instantbot> Bug https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=942436 nor, --, ---, acelists, ASSI, Cannot disable automagical attachment reminder for the current message (temporarily dismiss notifica
17:28:49 <sawrubh|ib> I haven't compiled yet (I was still figuring out the dynamic buttons during choosing the provider part)
17:29:21 <sawrubh|ib> so no screenshots, or I could remove the choosing provider part and just get a screenshot of the error *notification*-box ;)
17:29:27 <clokep_work> aleth_web: That patch was uploaded yesterday! :P
17:29:46 <clokep_work> sawrubh|ib: I meant screenshot of the error, yes. :) How does your code currently choose a provider again?
17:29:49 <clokep_work> Just the first one?
17:29:57 <sawrubh|ib> yeah, the 0th one
17:30:05 <sawrubh|ib> not too elegant I know
17:30:48 <clokep_work> Adding a button for each is I guess a reaosnable middle ground.
17:30:52 <clokep_work> Not super pretty though. . .
17:31:00 <sawrubh|ib> and may not scale well
17:31:18 <sawrubh|ib> but I found it to be the hack withouth the dropdowns :P
17:32:54 <clokep_work> sawrubh|ib: It looks like most of the code is there (you should be able to finish doing that in like 10 minutes).
17:32:57 <clokep_work> So let's just do that for now.
17:33:00 <clokep_work> Since it's easy. :)
17:59:14 --> unghost has joined #instantbird
18:00:52 --> qheaden has joined #instantbird
18:00:56 --> gerard-majax_ has joined #instantbird
18:01:04 <clokep_work> qheaden: Pling
18:01:18 <qheaden> clokep_work: pong
18:01:31 <qheaden> How's it going?
18:01:52 <clokep_work> qheaden: So what do we think is left for Yahoo?
18:02:19 <qheaden> clokep_work: Funny you ask. I was just thinking about that a few minutes ago.
18:02:45 <qheaden> Are we supposed to start supporting file transfers?
18:03:00 <qheaden> Also, I need to look more into what to do with Yahoo! Japan.
18:03:26 <clokep_work> qheaden: Not initially we don't need to, no.
18:04:26 <-- mayanktg has quit (Ping timeout)
18:04:30 <qheaden> I think we need more edge case testing, especially with the group chat code.
18:05:29 --> mayanktg has joined #instantbird
18:05:36 <qheaden> Other than that, I'm not sure what is left for Yahoo.
18:06:10 <qheaden> As for profile information, I remember us going over that in a bug somewhere. They made the way they allow developers to get profile informatiton much harder.
18:06:17 <qheaden> It requires us to use their special API.
18:06:39 <clokep_work> Hm. OK.
18:06:53 <qheaden> That isn't really the issue, but it requires and API key. It usually isn't a good idea to use one API key for a single piece of software because they often limit the requests per key over a period of time.
18:07:09 <-- Mic has quit (Ping timeout)
18:08:48 <clokep_work> Yeah, if we were going to use their API we would've implemented the whole thing over it.
18:09:07 <qheaden> Yeah.
18:10:44 <sawrubh|ib> did I hear File Transfers?
18:11:49 <qheaden> sawrubh|ib: Are you working on implementing an API for that?
18:12:57 <sawrubh|ib> I'm working on implementing File Transfers, starting with XMPP, but if you did that for Yahoo, that would be....good :)
18:13:43 <qheaden> I'll have to do some packet analysis on the official Yahoo client to see how file transfers work.
18:15:49 <clokep_work> qheaden: I guess my real question was "Do we think it's good enough to enable for Thunderbird yet?"
18:16:29 <qheaden> clokep_work: How about I do some extended testing this week, and we can determine whether it is good to go?
18:17:32 <clokep_work> qheaden: Sure. :) If there's other stuff you want to polish / add in the mean time, feel free to do that! :)
18:17:54 * clokep_work checks bug 955574 again.
18:17:56 <instantbot> Bug https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=955574 nor, --, ---, qheaden, ASSI, Enable JS Yahoo By Default
18:18:16 <clokep_work> Looks like it has a couple of errors to investigate.
18:18:48 <qheaden> OKay.
18:21:11 * qheaden has to log off for a second.
18:21:17 <-- qheaden has quit (Quit: Instantbird 1.6a1pre -- http://www.instantbird.com)
18:22:26 --> qheaden has joined #instantbird
18:22:38 <qheaden> back
18:25:12 <clokep_work> sawrubh|ib: Also share screenshots when you get it working. I'd like to see it. :)
18:26:22 <sawrubh|ib> yes, working on it :)
18:29:16 <clokep_work> Alright.
18:33:45 <sawrubh|ib> ....nearly done......
18:49:14 <nhnt11> aleth_web: "This isn't actually going to fail if the second operation doesn't happen" By that do you mean if the first operation never finishes?
18:49:21 <nhnt11> That's a good catch... 
18:49:23 * nhnt11 ponders
18:50:48 <nhnt11> Or did you mean, "why do we no longer care about the second operation?"
18:51:08 <nhnt11> Fwiw, the answer to that is that the "ok" call /is/ the second operation
18:51:29 <nhnt11> Btw, I'm going to change all of the equals to assertEq and ok to assertOk
18:53:31 <mayanktg> aleth_web: I have built the sdp upto this stage http://pastebin.instantbird.com/733431 . I'm taking a break from it for sometime. I'll fix the errors clokep_work mentioned about the sdp2xml patch and try to set the _targetResource.
18:55:34 <nhnt11> Hmm, I don't think we care if the first operation fails, in that case yield test_queueOrder will never finish and the test won't pass
18:58:03 <-- mconley has quit (Connection reset by peer)
18:58:09 --> mconley_ has joined #instantbird
19:01:46 * mconley_ is now known as mconley
19:05:49 --> Mic has joined #instantbird
19:05:49 * ChanServ sets mode +o Mic 
19:08:19 <-- qheaden has quit (Quit: Instantbird 1.6a1pre -- http://www.instantbird.com)
19:10:33 <sawrubh|ib> bah, I've broken TB's CSS :/
19:24:46 <-- sawrubh|ib has quit (Quit: sawrubh|ib)
19:26:15 <nhnt11> aleth_web: Ping
19:30:50 <nhnt11> nvm, brb..
19:35:18 <-- Suiseiseki has quit (Quit: Leaving)
19:39:49 --> qheaden has joined #instantbird
19:48:56 <-- aleth_web has quit (Quit: Connection closed for inactivity)
19:49:43 <clokep_work> sawrubh: Do you think you'd have time to look at the Box.com changes in the next week or so?
19:49:51 <clokep_work> The TB guys are asking.
19:50:05 <clokep_work> If not, I can probably do it.
20:02:02 --> flo-retina has joined #instantbird
20:02:02 * ChanServ sets mode +qo flo-retina flo-retina 
20:02:14 <clokep_work> sawrubh: Also, did you get that code to work? Do you need help?
20:05:22 --> Suiseiseki has joined #instantbird
20:23:21 --> EionRobb has joined #instantbird
20:25:26 --> Rym has joined #instantbird
20:35:05 <-- clokep_work has quit (Ping timeout)
20:35:28 <-- arlolra has quit (Quit: arlolra)
21:15:30 <-- qheaden has quit (Ping timeout)
21:19:19 --> qheaden has joined #instantbird
21:28:43 --> clokep has joined #instantbird
21:28:43 * ChanServ sets mode +o clokep 
21:40:07 <clokep> Hmm....all the cloudfile accounts are stored under mail. prefs, are we cool with that?
21:45:39 <-- qheaden has quit (Quit: Instantbird 1.6a1pre -- http://www.instantbird.com)
21:50:31 <-- Tonnes has quit (Connection reset by peer)
21:51:35 <-- mconley has quit (Input/output error)
22:10:56 <-- unghost has quit (Input/output error)
22:26:31 <-- Rym has quit (Ping timeout)
22:26:48 --> Rym has joined #instantbird
22:33:27 <-- Armada has quit (Connection reset by peer)
22:40:26 <-- Rym has quit (Ping timeout)
22:44:23 --> Rym has joined #instantbird