#instantbird log on 07 23 2013

All times are UTC.

00:08:49 --> mconley has joined #instantbird
00:11:01 <-- chrisccoulson has quit (Ping timeout)
00:32:22 <-- jb has quit (Ping timeout)
00:35:07 --> jb has joined #instantbird
00:45:48 --> clokep has joined #instantbird
00:45:48 * ChanServ sets mode +o clokep 
00:49:08 <clokep> qheaden_away: Not an issue, just in the future. :)
00:50:11 <-- mconley has quit (Ping timeout)
00:55:25 <-- wnayes has quit (Ping timeout)
00:58:56 --> wnayes has joined #instantbird
01:01:19 <-- Mook_as has quit (Quit: Mook_as)
01:15:12 <-- rosonline has quit (Quit: Instantbird 1.4 -- http://www.instantbird.com)
01:43:16 <-- jb has quit (Ping timeout)
01:59:03 --> jb has joined #instantbird
02:12:21 <instantbot> clokep@gmail.com denied review for attachment 2623 on bug 1982.
02:12:23 <instantbot> Bug https://bugzilla.instantbird.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1982 nor, --, ---, qheaden, ASSI, Create Yahoo! Messenger Protocol Plug-In
02:12:51 <instantbot> wnayes@gmail.com requested feedback from florian@instantbi rd.org for attachment 2627 on bug 1221.
02:12:54 <instantbot> Bug https://bugzilla.instantbird.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1221 enh, --, ---, wnayes, ASSI, Redesign buddy tooltips
02:13:18 <clokep> Ooo, yay. :)
02:13:21 <clokep> Can't wait for those.
02:14:41 <clokep> atuljangra: I'll get to your patch tomorrow hopefully. :-/ Sorry.
02:15:46 <wnayes> Another complementary screenshot of a tooltip (not much difference from last time) :) http://i.imgur.com/qwKW3G3.png
02:16:26 <clokep> wnayes: That looks like a government document, everything is redacted. :P
02:18:42 <wnayes> Those are spam addresses that somehow appeared in my google contacts. They're good for joining and testing the buddy portion of the tooltips. :)
02:21:08 <wnayes> Good night!
02:21:23 <clokep> goodnight!
02:21:49 <-- wnayes has quit (Quit: wnayes)
02:23:31 --> Mook has joined #instantbird
02:24:30 <-- jb has quit (Quit: jb)
02:34:34 --> jb has joined #instantbird
02:40:53 <-- jb has quit (Ping timeout)
02:41:20 --> jb has joined #instantbird
02:45:28 <-- jb has quit (Quit: jb)
02:53:33 <-- clokep has quit (Quit: Instantbird 1.5a1pre -- http://www.instantbird.com)
02:53:56 --> jb has joined #instantbird
03:04:45 <instant-buildbot> build #918 of linux-nightly-default is complete: Success [build successful]  Build details are at http://buildbot.instantbird.org/builders/linux-nightly-default/builds/918
03:05:52 --> jb1 has joined #instantbird
03:06:08 <-- jb has quit (Ping timeout)
03:30:32 <instant-buildbot> build #918 of macosx-nightly-default is complete: Success [build successful]  Build details are at http://buildbot.instantbird.org/builders/macosx-nightly-default/builds/918
03:44:09 --> mconley has joined #instantbird
04:03:25 <-- EionRobb has quit (Quit: Leaving.)
04:06:34 <-- jb1 has quit (Ping timeout)
04:07:49 <-- mconley has quit (Input/output error)
04:56:52 <-- dew has quit (Ping timeout)
05:10:45 <-- Suiseiseki has quit (Ping timeout)
05:14:19 --> Suiseiseki has joined #instantbird
05:54:11 <instant-buildbot> build #1014 of win32-nightly-default is complete: Success [build successful]  Build details are at http://buildbot.instantbird.org/builders/win32-nightly-default/builds/1014
06:20:07 <-- Mook has quit (Quit: Mook)
06:21:53 --> flo-retina has joined #instantbird
06:21:53 * ChanServ sets mode +qo flo-retina flo-retina 
07:04:39 <-- flo-retina has quit (Quit: Instantbird 1.5a1pre -- http://www.instantbird.com)
07:05:41 --> chrisccoulson has joined #instantbird
07:46:50 --> mpmc has joined #instantbird
07:56:26 <-- chrisccoulson has quit (Ping timeout)
08:16:06 --> gerard-majax__ has joined #instantbird
08:18:10 <-- gerard-majax__ has quit (Ping timeout)
08:19:01 --> gerard-majax__ has joined #instantbird
08:30:55 --> chrisccoulson has joined #instantbird
08:31:00 <-- chrisccoulson has quit (Connection reset by peer)
08:31:08 --> chrisccoulson has joined #instantbird
08:53:28 --> Mic has joined #instantbird
08:53:28 * ChanServ sets mode +h Mic 
09:02:46 --> aleth has joined #instantbird
09:02:46 * ChanServ sets mode +h aleth 
09:03:02 --> flo-retina has joined #instantbird
09:03:03 * ChanServ sets mode +qo flo-retina flo-retina 
09:04:22 <flo-retina> hello :)
09:04:30 <Mic> Hi
09:10:42 <-- flo-retina has quit (Ping timeout)
09:11:57 --> flo-retina has joined #instantbird
09:11:57 * ChanServ sets mode +qo flo-retina flo-retina 
09:18:16 <-- mpmc has quit (Quit: Instantbird 1.5a1pre -- http://www.instantbird.com)
09:24:10 <flo-retina> nhnt11: have you tested http://pastebin.instantbird.com/255436 when the statusText is empty?
09:24:58 <-- gerard-majax__ has quit (Ping timeout)
09:26:49 --> gerard-majax has joined #instantbird
09:28:18 <Mic> I wondered that too
09:45:37 <flo-retina> Atul's patch doesn't apply cleanly :(
09:46:08 <flo-retina> http://pastebin.instantbird.com/256276
09:56:38 --> clokep has joined #instantbird
09:56:38 * ChanServ sets mode +o clokep 
09:57:08 * flo-retina finally managed to get it started
10:11:47 --> nhnt11_phone has joined #instantbird
10:12:11 <nhnt11_phone> flo-retina, Mic: yes!
10:13:03 <nhnt11_phone> The point of that was a short way of including the "-" only when statusText is not empty
10:13:36 <flo-retina> nhnt11_phone: and did it work?
10:13:45 <nhnt11_phone> Yes
10:13:58 <flo-retina> nhnt11_phone: what's the result of ["foo", ""].join(" - "); for you?
10:14:14 <nhnt11_phone> I got the idea because once previously i noticed that empty strings are ignored
10:14:20 <nhnt11_phone> flo-retina: foo
10:14:36 <flo-retina> is this the result you would like, or the one you got when testing in the error console?
10:15:08 <nhnt11_phone> It's what I'd like... I didnt try in the error console at all
10:15:14 <nhnt11_phone> Is it not working for you?
10:15:23 <clokep> That shouldn't work.
10:15:24 <nhnt11_phone> Im now wondering if I missed something 
10:16:02 <clokep> nhnt11_phone: ["foo", ""].join(" - ") == "foo - "
10:16:54 <-- nhnt11_phone has quit (Connection reset by peer)
10:16:56 --> nhnt11_phone has joined #instantbird
10:19:47 <nhnt11_phone> Ok just tested
10:19:50 <nhnt11_phone> I dont get it
10:19:55 <nhnt11_phone> It was working
10:20:09 <nhnt11_phone> It just showed "Available" when there was no statustext
10:20:17 <nhnt11_phone> No hyphen
10:20:50 <nhnt11_phone> I'll figure this out when I get home..
10:20:55 <nhnt11_phone> :(
10:24:04 <-- nhnt11_phone has quit (Quit: AndroIRC - Android IRC Client ( http://www.androirc.com ))
10:52:23 --> atuljangra has joined #instantbird
10:53:01 <atuljangra> flo-retina: Sorry for http://log.bezut.info/instantbird/today#m76 :(
10:55:25 <atuljangra> flo-retina: I plan to finish fallback mechanism work and most of the ui work before you come from holidays. So that you can come and review the patches. Is this fine with you or you want me to work on something else? :) 
10:55:32 <flo-retina> atuljangra: I had to add ondragenter="event.preventDefault()" ondragover="event.preventDefault()" (as documented on https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/DragDrop/Drag_Operations#drop) on the browser and the textbox in conversation.xml for the ondrop events to be fired; otherwise there was nothing happening at all.
10:56:07 <flo-retina> atuljangra: I think someone asked you yesterday if you have an etherpad with a todo list we can look at
10:56:30 <atuljangra> flo-retina: I didn't face anything like that. I was using drag and drop for a long time now :s
10:57:08 <flo-retina> I have no idea of what "the ui work" you have in mind is.
10:57:20 <flo-retina> UI work typically requires mockups and discussion to reach agreement on what the expected behavior is.
10:57:30 <atuljangra> Yes, I was giong to reply to that on bitbucket. Anyway, I usually keep my todo list on sticky notes. I'll prepare an ethernet right now.
10:58:12 <atuljangra> flo-retina: I was mainly referring to including filelink setting in our preferences tab, making the dialogs that appear on file dropping cleaner, and (hopefully) progress bar.
10:59:03 --> novabyte has joined #instantbird
10:59:04 <-- clokep has quit (Quit: Instantbird 1.5a1pre -- http://www.instantbird.com)
11:00:25 <atuljangra> flo-retina: Were you able to use filelink?
11:00:27 <atuljangra> :s
11:12:29 --> jb has joined #instantbird
11:21:55 <-- jb has quit (Ping timeout)
11:22:43 --> jb has joined #instantbird
11:24:39 <atuljangra> aleth, flo-retina: https://etherpad.mozilla.org/filelink I've created this on the top of my head. I'll keep updating this. You guys also add anything that I should be doing in the TODO list.
11:25:31 <-- jb has quit (Ping timeout)
11:25:50 --> jb has joined #instantbird
11:26:01 <atuljangra> Mic: Thanks for you email :D
11:26:16 <atuljangra> Hoping for a good midterms :D
11:42:42 --> clokep_ has joined #instantbird
11:50:30 <flo-retina> atuljangra: "    Add a pane for filelink settings in the preferences of Instantbird." is this a whole preference pane on Thunderbird?
11:50:51 <atuljangra> flo-retina: 
11:50:51 <atuljangra> Yes, a new pane for Filelink.
11:51:09 <clokep_> flo-retina: No, it's a subtab on the attachments pane.
11:51:15 <Mic> atuljangra: I think the question was if there's on in TB?
11:51:34 <atuljangra> Somewhat similar to TB, where we can show the remaining disk space and stuff.
11:51:37 <atuljangra> Mic: oh sory
11:51:42 <atuljangra> replied too early.
11:51:47 <atuljangra> as clokep_said.
11:52:15 <atuljangra> But I would vote for a whole new pane. :s
11:54:32 <-- jb has quit (Ping timeout)
11:56:41 * flo-retina tends to disagree just for the sake of it with anybody claiming to "vote" for a UI decision.
11:57:32 <clokep_> atuljangra: Did you file that FileLink bug you found?
11:57:41 <atuljangra> clokep_: Yes.
11:57:44 <atuljangra> flo-retina:  :)
11:57:50 <clokep_> atuljangra: ...
11:57:54 <clokep_> Can I have a link?
11:58:08 <atuljangra> just a sec
11:58:34 <clokep_> https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=896612
11:58:37 <atuljangra> clokep_: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=896612
11:58:47 <atuljangra> oops.
12:00:21 <flo-retina> Mic: was 7s faster than me to cc himself :-D
12:00:53 <clokep_> No one wanted to CC me onto it? :P
12:01:04 <Mic> CC'ing doesn't mid-air, does it? That would be silly.
12:01:17 <atuljangra> No it doesn't. :)
12:01:28 <flo-retina> Mic: I was (pleasantly) surprised it didn't!
12:03:12 <atuljangra> flo-retina: So how should I include the filelink in preferences? 
12:11:46 --> deltafalcon has joined #instantbird
12:15:25 <atuljangra> I'll catch up with the logs. I'll be back in an hour. Going to eat something.
12:17:43 <Mic> atuljangra: what do you think? What should be or needs to be customizable for file transfer (not just file link) in general? Remember that we rather like to provide less options in our UI than more (i.e. what's the minimal amount of options we need to offer)?
12:18:28 <atuljangra> Mic:  This is for the inclusion of Filelink in preferences?
12:22:11 --> jb has joined #instantbird
12:32:39 <atuljangra> Ok. I'll go for some food now.
12:35:16 <clokep_> flo-retina: For the Yahoo prpl, how closely do you want to review that before we land it?
12:35:46 <-- jb has quit (Ping timeout)
12:40:36 <flo-retina> clokep_: if it's been reviewed by you (and maybe also aleth or Mic), not very closely. I would review the notifications exchanged with the rest of the code (ie check that the APIs are used correctly), review anything related to l10n, review the code changes outside of chat/protocols/yahoo, and just look very briefly at the rest.
12:41:19 <clokep_> flo-retina: OK. I THINK if all my current review comments are met it'd be ready for an initial landing...
12:41:29 * clokep_ wonders whether to volunteer aleth or Mic to look over it. ;)
12:42:00 <flo-retina> I think aleth spent more time on the prpl side than Mic, so I would say aleth, unless he's currently way busier than Mic.
12:42:20 <Mic> Yes, that's true.
12:42:29 <clokep_> That was my thought too.
12:42:34 <flo-retina> Mic: you are of course more than welcome to have a look if you have time anyway :)
12:43:45 <Mic> I'm very thankful that you are helping nhnt11 with the structure of the stats service by the way. I've found I'm not very comfortable with design decisions for backend stuff. :S
12:47:03 <flo-retina> Mic: if clokep thinks this is close to an initial landing, the design decisions are probably already made, so at this point a review would be more to flag stuff that have non obvious designs that could do with more comments, or to spot tiny mistakes
12:47:08 <flo-retina> at least I hope so :)
12:47:52 <clokep_> I think so. ;)
12:48:17 <Mic> I was talking about nhnt11's stats service by the way.
12:48:39 <flo-retina> I need to have another look there :-/
12:58:15 --> nhnt11_phone has joined #instantbird
13:01:02 <Mic> hi nhnt11_phone
13:01:09 <nhnt11_phone> Hi Mic
13:15:56 <-- nhnt11_phone has quit (Input/output error)
13:20:42 * clokep_ would like to land the Yahoo stuff this week while he's still around a lot. :-/
13:57:14 <clokep_> qheaden_away: Ping me before you read those comments btw.
13:57:20 <Mic> bye!
13:57:50 <-- Mic has quit (Quit: Instantbird -- http://www.instantbird.com)
14:03:38 <flo-retina> clokep_: do you think it can land in the next 24hours?
14:03:53 <flo-retina> (I'll likely be gone in 25 ;))
14:04:36 <clokep_> If qheaden wakes up, probably.
14:04:45 <flo-retina> that seems a difficult part ;)
14:04:59 <flo-retina> was hard for me last evening at least :-D
14:07:19 <clokep_> :)
14:07:26 * clokep_ can't imagine sleeping past like 8am. :P
14:08:18 * flo-retina has a hard time imagining going to bed at 8pm ;)
14:14:40 --> nhnt11 has joined #instantbird
14:14:49 * nhnt11 gets to work on purplexpcom
14:14:56 <flo-retina> scary!
14:15:04 <flo-retina> what do you want to teach it to do? :)
14:16:03 <nhnt11> I need to add the stuff that corresponds to my IDL changes
14:16:52 <clokep_> nhnt11 probably needs to add "not supported" in a few places. ;)
14:16:59 <nhnt11> Yeah
14:17:12 <nhnt11> I looked through the files yesterday
14:17:19 <nhnt11> time to actually add stuff
14:18:10 <flo-retina> nhnt11: look at the .h files generated from the .idl file to see what you need to add
14:18:15 <flo-retina> it will be just copy/paste ;)
14:18:18 <clokep_> :)
14:18:20 <nhnt11> Oh awesome
14:18:24 <nhnt11> I didn't know that
14:18:38 * flo-retina thought you actually planed to implement something
14:19:00 <clokep_> I suggested that nhnt11 not worry about returning roomlists from libpurple yet. :)
14:19:10 <clokep_> The API around it is more insane than joining chats. :(
14:19:16 <flo-retina> clokep_: are you going to worry about that for him? :-P
14:19:43 <flo-retina> roomlist.h?
14:19:54 * nhnt11 is incredibly happy about the .h copy-pasting
14:20:01 <flo-retina> "104         void (*show_with_account)(PurpleAccount *account); /**< Force the ui to pop up a dialog and get the list */" lol.
14:20:11 <flo-retina> "Force the ui to pop up a dialog" :)
14:20:42 <flo-retina> could as well say "force the UI to make me some coffee"
14:21:30 <clokep_> Wait, can we add that?
14:21:34 <flo-retina> ah, http://lxr.instantbird.org/instantbird/source/purple/libpurple/roomlist.h#131
14:23:05 <flo-retina> clokep_: after looking at it, I'm afraid I have to agree. This API is junk :(.
14:23:09 * qheaden_away is now known as qheaden
14:23:12 <qheaden> Hello everyone.
14:23:17 <flo-retina> qheaden: good morning.
14:24:52 <clokep_> flo-retina: I had actually looked at it, not just guessed "Oh it's libpurple, it must be insane." :-D
14:25:16 <qheaden> clokep_: I read your feedback last night. I'll start work on it.
14:25:16 <clokep_> flo-retina: I really like how the roomlist has roomlist fields/values, instead of reusing the same class as joining chats. :(
14:25:18 <flo-retina> clokep_: well, you could have guessed "it's libpurple and flo never tried to use that part" ;)
14:25:35 <clokep_> qheaden: Great, please let us know what changes a patch makes btw.
14:25:47 <clokep_> qheaden: So if we leave a comment and you don't follow it we need to know WHY that is.
14:26:19 <flo-retina> clokep_: well, the worst thing is that none of this stuff is designed in a way that lets us do anything with the data but putting it in front of the user :(.
14:26:52 <flo-retina> clokep_: I wouldn't be surprised if in most cases the fields had the same name as for the stuff used when joining ;).
14:27:50 <qheaden> clokep_: Okay, I will. I'm going to place all of the comments in a text file and remove them as I complete them. I tend to lose track.
14:28:41 <clokep_> qheaden: Yes, it's hard...but it's very frustrating for a reviewer to leave the same comment multiple times. :)
14:29:03 <qheaden> clokep_: Of course it is. Which is why I am going to organize better. :)
14:30:31 <flo-retina> https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=896652 likely deserves some attention, but I'm afraid it won't get any from me during the next few weeks :(
14:31:15 <clokep_> flo-retina: If I have time to look at it this weekend I will.
14:31:22 <clokep_> s/weekend/week/
14:32:22 <flo-retina> it likely just needs some nsIScriptableUnicodeConverter magic
14:32:49 <flo-retina> and I guess that should block preffing on JS-XMPP
14:33:20 <clokep_> I'm guessing it pretty much needs the same thing as the MD5 stuff?
14:33:59 <flo-retina> well, we do btoa("\0"+ this._username + "\0" + this._password)
14:34:28 <clokep_> Right.
14:34:28 <flo-retina> I'm not sure what needs to be done for btoa to work correctly with UTF8, but maybe you do? (or qheaden? :))
14:34:35 <clokep_> IRC does it!
14:34:53 <clokep_> http://lxr.instantbird.org/instantbird/source/chat/protocols/irc/ircSASL.jsm#36
14:35:03 <flo-retina> I was going to paste the exact same link
14:35:52 <flo-retina> alright, I'll try right now :-D
14:36:24 <qheaden> flo-retina: Yeah, the link clokep_ gave is how you do it.
14:36:31 <-- deltafalcon has quit (Connection reset by peer)
14:37:36 <flo-retina> now I just need to find how I can change the password of one of my gmail test accounts ;)
14:38:23 <flo-retina> "The following characters are allowed in your password: a-z, A-Z, 0-9, and common punctuation characters. "
14:38:26 <flo-retina> won't happen :-S
14:38:58 <clokep_> :)
14:39:07 <clokep_> Facebook apparently allows fancier things from that other bug that was filed?
14:39:16 <flo-retina> facebook uses DIGEST-MD5
14:39:38 <clokep_> qheaden: So I don't know if you saw the conversation from earlier, but flo-retina is traveling in ~24 hours, so if we want Yahoo to land before then...we'll need to finish a review before that point. :)
14:39:53 <qheaden> :-S
14:39:57 <flo-retina> (including a review from me ;))
14:40:02 <qheaden> I'll see what I can do.
14:40:48 <qheaden> clokep_: So I should remove the error messages that aren't going to happen, like @yahoo.com suffix and missing username or password right?
14:40:56 <qheaden> That should be handled client side.
14:41:25 <clokep_> qheaden: If that happens...Idk know what we should do.
14:41:39 <clokep_> We should certainly show an error, but showing an error the user can't do anything about isn't helpful.
14:43:13 <qheaden> clokep_: How about we just remove the ones that we don't expect to happen, but categorize errors that we don't expect as a general error, and print the error number as the error message?
14:43:51 <qheaden> In that way, if users run into a weird error (for example, if they add one to the protocol), we can investigate its number.
14:50:04 <qheaden> clokep_: How's this? http://pastebin.instantbird.com/256563
14:50:22 <qheaden> It can be used for unexpected and unknown error codes.
14:51:10 <nhnt11> flo-retina: How do I return a NOT IMPLEMENTED flag in a purplexpcom cpp file?
14:51:34 <flo-retina> what was returned in the code you copy/pasted?
14:52:11 <nhnt11> Er, I'm not trying to modify any of that
14:52:17 <nhnt11> oh wait
14:52:35 <nhnt11> It says = 0
14:52:41 <flo-retina> wrong line then
14:52:48 <flo-retina> look for the implementation tempalte
14:52:49 <nhnt11> ah
14:52:50 <flo-retina> *template
14:52:50 <nhnt11> found it
14:53:05 <nhnt11> I was looking at the wrong thing, thanks
14:53:22 * nhnt11 builds
14:55:58 <clokep_> qheaden: That's probably reasonable, yes. Btw I didn't leave a comment but you REALLY need to add a lot more logging into your code.
14:56:11 <qheaden> clokep_: Okay.
14:56:12 <clokep_> That definitely needs an ERROR call that gives the proper information.
14:57:36 <nhnt11> It builds \o/
14:57:52 <clokep_> qheaden: I also think you need to add a try-catch somewhere.
14:57:53 <clokep_> One second...
15:00:19 --> mconley has joined #instantbird
15:00:27 <clokep_> qheaden: Added another comment. ;)
15:00:34 <qheaden> clokep_: Thanks. :)
15:03:34 <nhnt11> Hmm, this._socket is null. I guess I should wait for the account to get connected first.
15:04:02 <qheaden> clokep_: Soooo... what are we to do with those localized option strings for the unused options?
15:04:59 <qheaden> I think we should comment them out just like their respective options.
15:06:56 <clokep_> qheaden: So...Umm....the cod eyou just wrote won't work at all.
15:07:00 <clokep_> Sorry I said it was OK.
15:07:22 <clokep_> I left comments on BitBucket, but additionally...we probably don't want it to try to auto-reconnect in those situations.
15:07:29 <clokep_> Just something to think about, I don't know the best way to solve that.
15:07:36 <clokep_> nhnt11: What?
15:07:42 <qheaden> clokep_: I just tried it out, and the general error didn't cause an auto reconnect.
15:07:58 <clokep_> OK, that's fine then. :)
15:08:54 <nhnt11> clokep_: Apparently it was trying to send the LIST message before the socket was initialized
15:09:02 <nhnt11> And woot, it works :D
15:09:10 <nhnt11> I have list data in the error console
15:09:11 <nhnt11> :)
15:09:50 <qheaden> clokep_: JS just returns undefined when trying to access an element that doesn't exist right?
15:09:57 <qheaden> *property
15:10:06 <clokep_> qheaden: Um, possibly but it's a messy way to do it.
15:10:16 <clokep_> qheaden: My real comment is "I find this code hard to read."
15:10:36 <qheaden> clokep_: hasOwnProperty then?
15:12:06 <qheaden> I could just add some comments there.
15:12:44 <clokep_> I think that will be OK.
15:14:42 <qheaden> clokep_: Comments or hasOwnProperty?
15:15:06 * clokep_ wonders if that needs to use the global hasOwnProperty or not.
15:15:43 <nhnt11> Hmm, is it required to import jsProtoHelper in ircBase as well if I want to use something from it? Considering ircBase is imported into irc.js and irc.js also imports jsProtoHelper.
15:15:51 <qheaden> clokep_: I think a comment will suffice.
15:19:12 <nhnt11> Odd, even after importing jsProtoHelper I'm getting ChatRoom is undefined... (ChatRoom is a constructor that I've defined in jsProtoHelper.jsm)
15:20:21 <nhnt11> Er, silly me, I need to export it from jsProtoHelper
15:21:02 <nhnt11> clokep_: If I export a constructor, do I need to export the prototype too?
15:24:45 <nhnt11> It all works :)
15:24:48 <nhnt11> Now for UI...
15:30:15 <qheaden> Are there any bash scripts to automatically send a diff to pastebin?
15:30:24 <clokep_> qheaden: OK.
15:30:24 * qheaden is getting tired of opening the diff and pasting manually.
15:30:34 <clokep_> nhnt11: No.
15:30:46 <atuljangra> qheaden: you can always create one ;)
15:30:49 <clokep_> qheaden: Yes, Standard8 has one...I have it somewhere.
15:30:52 <clokep_> Let me find it...
15:31:14 <clokep_> nhnt11: https://hg.mozilla.org/build/braindump/file/tip/utils/pastebin
15:31:21 <nhnt11> qheaden: ^
15:31:46 <qheaden> clokep_: Thanks!
15:32:29 <clokep_> Oops, sorry.
15:32:31 <clokep_> Wrong person.
15:35:26 * clokep_ uses his Komodo macro.
15:35:30 <-- gerard-majax has quit (Ping timeout)
15:35:53 <nhnt11> clokep_: About using observers instead of a special callback, I used a separate callback interface so that it may be easier to return chat rooms in batches. If you think this isn't that beneficial and observers can use aData or something to find how many rooms have been returned, I'll change it.
15:36:04 <atuljangra> flo-retina: 
15:36:19 <atuljangra> anything specific you want me to work on, before you leave?
15:36:47 <clokep_> nhnt11: I don't know, I just found it weird that it was the only place we were using it. ;)
15:37:08 <nhnt11> I've seen stuff like this before (like in the favicon api), that's why I did it
15:38:08 <qheaden> clokep_: These are all the user statuses: http://pastebin.instantbird.com/256613
15:38:14 <qheaden> I'm not sure how many are actually used now.
15:38:39 * qheaden realizes he needs to add comments on what the statuses actually are.
15:38:40 <clokep_> qheaden: "how many are actually used now"?
15:38:44 <clokep_> Those all need comments saying what they are btw.
15:38:46 <clokep_> Oh haha. :)
15:39:11 <qheaden> clokep_: I don't know if Yahoo Messenger uses all of those status codes anymore
15:40:08 <nhnt11> I have an object A defined in another object B. What's the best way to call a method in B, from a method in A?
15:41:04 <atuljangra> clokep_: Regarding "where should this progress bar go", I was thinking about opening a new window(like downloads in fx) which would contain details about all the /ongoing/ file transfer. But you suggest, what would be best for IB UI. 
15:41:10 <qheaden> nhnt11: I don't know why, but that question brings me back to my CS classes last semster. :P
15:41:23 <nhnt11> :P
15:41:38 <nhnt11> I basically am wondering if I can do something like Function.bind on an object.
15:41:55 <qheaden> nhnt11: Obj A needs to have some sort of reference to Obj B.
15:42:05 <qheaden> Perhaps you can pass it in the constructor or something.
15:42:13 <nhnt11> That's one way, I was just wondering if there was a better one.
15:43:02 <clokep_> qheaden: That doesn't matter, we should support receiving them! :)
15:43:12 <qheaden> clokep_: Righto. :)
15:43:17 <clokep_> qheaden: Btw that code will mess up sending statuses.
15:43:39 <qheaden> clokep_: How?
15:43:57 <qheaden> clokep_: Oh yeah, the reverse lookup.
15:44:14 * qheaden sighs.
15:45:55 <clokep_> :)
15:45:59 <clokep_> Time for a reverse map? ;)
15:46:29 <clokep_> nhnt11: Having a reference would be fine or just passing in a function, yes.
15:46:45 <clokep_> But I think using an observer is the way to go here, so that multiple things could potentially listen to a list result. :p
15:47:09 <nhnt11> clokep_: That's still possible with the current way
15:47:10 <clokep_> atuljangra: So we had discussed using the actual download manager (which is part of toolkit, not Firefox) for this initially.
15:47:17 <clokep_> But there are probably cleaner ways to do this.
15:47:30 <clokep_> I don't want to discuss UI though, please ask flo-retina or Mic or aleth .
15:47:44 <atuljangra> clokep_: Okay.
15:47:50 <flo-retina> clokep_: heh :)
15:48:57 <flo-retina> clokep_, atuljangra: how would you feel about an icon in the bar at the top of the conversation, near the protocol icon. The icon would look like the icon Firefox has in its toolbar for the download manager, and clicking it would open a panel like Firefox does
15:49:05 <clokep_> flo-retina: UI requires too much thought right now. :P
15:49:17 <atuljangra> flo-retina: I wanted that only :D
15:49:21 <atuljangra> It looks really nice.
15:49:30 <flo-retina> why didn't you say it then?
15:49:43 <atuljangra> That arrow icon on the top of the conversation.
15:49:52 <atuljangra> flo-retina: I mentioned it some other day iirc.
15:49:59 <qheaden> clokep_: How's this look? http://pastebin.instantbird.com/256636
15:50:16 <atuljangra> flo-retina: Did you see my earlier questions :s
15:51:48 <clokep_> qheaden: Reasonable.
15:52:08 <qheaden> clokep_: I have a feeling those statuses were used before Yahoo supported custom ones.
15:52:51 <clokep_> qheaden: That doesn't mean you don't have someone running a super old version of the protocol somewhere.
15:53:03 <qheaden> clokep_: That's true.
15:54:52 * clokep_ goes to get a burrito.
15:56:26 * nhnt11 broke something somehow
15:58:35 <nhnt11> Very weird. I'm iterating through my list callbacks, and calling receiveChatRooms on all of them with the list data. It's saying "JS component doesn't have a method named: "receiveChatRooms", though Object.keys() on the callback object says "QueryInterface,receiveChatRooms"
15:59:22 <nhnt11> flo-retina, clokep_: ^
15:59:28 <qheaden> clokep_: Does this clear up the logic a bit? http://pastebin.instantbird.com/256658
16:00:42 <flo-retina> clokep_: http://pastebin.instantbird.com/256669 does this look ok?
16:01:41 <flo-retina> nhnt11: what's the QueryInterface implementation?
16:02:38 <nhnt11> flo-retina: XPCOMUtils.generateQI([Ci.prplIRequestChatRoomsCallback])
16:03:21 <flo-retina> hmm, doesn't seem to be the issue then :-S
16:04:37 <nhnt11> I think I may have found it..
16:04:49 <atuljangra> Ok. I'm continuing to work on backend mechanism.
16:04:57 <nhnt11> It works \o/
16:05:28 <nhnt11> http://puu.sh/3JPgL.png :D :D
16:05:52 <nhnt11> flo-retina: I was referencing this from a prototype, moved it to init() and it's all fine :)
16:06:33 --> nhnt11-testing has joined #instantbird
16:06:45 <nhnt11-testing> So I joined this channel from awesometab :)
16:07:19 <-- nhnt11-testing has quit (Quit: Instantbird 1.5a1pre -- http://www.instantbird.com)
16:07:51 <flo-retina> nhnt11: you need to remove the channel modes ;)
16:07:59 <nhnt11> flo-retina: That's planned
16:08:03 <flo-retina> there's likely some existing code for that
16:08:06 * nhnt11 expected something more positive.
16:08:15 <nhnt11> :P
16:08:21 <flo-retina> and I wonder if we should de-emphasis the account names
16:08:35 <nhnt11> flo-retina: I used that as a filler for now.
16:09:03 <flo-retina> the account name?
16:09:10 <nhnt11> yes
16:09:24 <nhnt11> It needs to be displayed somehow
16:09:32 <nhnt11> but I'm not sure what the correct UI is for it
16:10:03 <flo-retina> nhnt11: great \o/ !!!  (<-- is that positive enough? :-D)
16:10:12 <nhnt11> :P
16:10:22 * nhnt11 was kidding.
16:10:27 <atuljangra> flo-retina: Did you try filelink? Did it work for you?
16:10:57 <flo-retina> I could upload a few files and the links were sent
16:11:07 <aleth> nhnt11: Awesome! :)
16:11:27 <-- nhnt11 has quit (Quit: Instantbird 1.5a1pre -- http://www.instantbird.com)
16:11:31 --> nhnt11 has joined #instantbird
16:11:48 <flo-retina> atuljangra: but that was after tinkering with the patch for it to apply, and then tinkering in conversation.xml for the drop events to work, and then I got http://i6.minus.com/ibhTbUbNJbXzZu.png
16:12:19 <flo-retina> a, I forgot the editing of jar.mn to remove 4 lines of non existing files :-P
16:12:20 <nhnt11> aleth: :)
16:12:50 <atuljangra> flo-retina: I'm sorry for that, but I tested it on my machine and lab laptop before uploading. It seems to work flawlessly. :( 
16:20:41 <atuljangra> I just tested it again, it works fine.
16:20:54 <flo-retina> "it" = ?
16:21:25 <atuljangra> the box account creation. and dropping the file.
16:21:50 <nhnt11> be back after dinner
16:22:38 <atuljangra> flo-retina: Also, do you have any plan for me during your vacation? Like what do you want me to work on, and what should be completed before you come back?
16:23:24 <flo-retina> do you have suggestions?
16:24:37 <atuljangra> I would say, backend fallback mechanism, and UI.
16:25:37 <flo-retina> so what's your plan for UI?
16:25:41 <atuljangra> UI -> preferences pane mainly, and some polishing.
16:26:04 <flo-retina> what you just described should take a day or two. I'll be away for 2 weeks.
16:27:42 <atuljangra> backend would take around 2 days, and preferences UI would take around 2 days(as I tried to do it once over the weekend and found that it isn't only copy/paste)
16:28:18 <flo-retina> it's mostly moving stuff around
16:28:22 <flo-retina> and fixing paths
16:28:34 <flo-retina> or are there some complications I haven't thought about?
16:28:49 <flo-retina> (if there were, you would have mentioned them in the status emails, wouldn't you? :))
16:30:26 <atuljangra> There were some complications, and I did mention it on IRC while discussing it with Mic
16:31:03 <-- nhnt11 has quit (Ping timeout)
16:31:20 <atuljangra> I didn't include it in the status emails because I wasn't supposed to work on that. I worked on it because I was excited about this.
16:33:48 <flo-retina> "supposed to work on that" isn't important. What's important is that you are making progress
16:34:12 <atuljangra> flo-retina: This would take around a week for me. So what else do you want me to work on? :)
16:34:17 <atuljangra> Ok, sorry. :s
16:34:38 <atuljangra> "Around a week" -> this week(4 days)
16:36:01 <flo-retina> I think I still don't know what "that" is
16:36:14 <flo-retina> "backend" isn't specific enough.
16:36:33 <atuljangra> Fair enough. Lemme elaborate.
16:36:38 <flo-retina> err, "backend fallback mechanism"
16:36:52 <flo-retina> but still, that looks like adding an if (failed) doFileLink();
16:38:16 <atuljangra> Yes. Basic work would be informing the ui about the failure and doing filelink.(I've completed it already).
16:39:24 --> Mook_as has joined #instantbird
16:41:25 <atuljangra> So, other backend work would be including special cases and handling them accordingly.  That would take one day only.
16:41:34 <atuljangra> I'll complete this by tomorrow.
16:41:50 <atuljangra> Remaining is UI, which I'll complete by this weekend.
16:42:15 <atuljangra> as I would take a break on 25th.
16:43:05 <atuljangra> So for next week, before you come, I can start working on progress bar, if you want me to? Or any other thing you want me to work.
16:43:07 <atuljangra> flo-retina: ^
16:46:54 --> nhnt11 has joined #instantbird
16:53:56 <flo-retina> atuljangra: I think you'll want aleth and clokep_ for this conversation too, as they are going to be around while I won't be ;).
16:54:14 <atuljangra> Okay aleth clokep_ :D
16:54:47 <atuljangra> We need to discuss this before flo-retina goes :D
16:55:03 <flo-retina> but I think you should define what the expected UI is with much more details, so that we have a chance to comment on it and agree before it's implemented
16:58:17 <Mook_as> so, does this mean that to get the patches I actually care about into tbird, I need to sync chat/ ? :(
16:58:53 <atuljangra> flo-retina: Okay. I'll wait for aleth anfd clokep_ to come up, and then we can discuss this.
16:59:05 <flo-retina> Mook_as: possibly :-P
16:59:13 <clokep_> flo-retina: r+
16:59:16 <flo-retina> Mook_as: or convince someone to do it
16:59:25 <flo-retina> clokep_: on the patch that doesn't actually work? :-D
16:59:46 <Mook_as> I don't even know if anybody else cares about chat in tbird :(
17:00:12 <flo-retina> Mook_as: I think everybody here vaguely do
17:00:16 * atuljangra patch works :s
17:00:56 <-- mconley has quit (Ping timeout)
17:01:32 <aleth> atuljangra, flo-retina: Sorry I don't have time atm, but as I suggested already it would help if you could explain your proposed code flow and what the interfaces do and when. https://bitbucket.org/atuljangra/instantbird-gsoc-2013/commits/e8b5014032400625605e965e379a2f5fe2c79068
17:01:37 --> mconley has joined #instantbird
17:01:38 <clokep_> flo-retina: Well that's only half my fault if it doesn't work.
17:02:00 <clokep_> Mook_as: I was hoping to try to sync chat/ soon, but I forget how Florian does it. :-D
17:02:14 <atuljangra> aleth: I addressed that. :D We can talk later :)
17:02:25 <aleth> That should automatically include what you envisage for the UX you intend to add
17:02:48 <aleth> atuljangra: Maybe there's an etherpad or sketch I haven't seen then, sorry if that's the case
17:02:51 <atuljangra> flo-retina, aleth:  clokep_ we can take this discussion to etherpad.
17:03:24 <atuljangra> aleth: No pbm. I'll explain things more clearly.
17:03:31 <aleth> I'm not sure flo-retina has even seen your fallback WIP (which was not quite clear to me)
17:03:59 <atuljangra> aleth:  OKay. :s
17:10:54 <clokep_> atuljangra: What discussion are we taking where?
17:11:32 <atuljangra> The discussion about what I should cover when flo is on vacation.
17:11:49 <atuljangra> lets discuss here, if you and flo-retina are free.
17:14:42 <clokep_> Let's stop discussing how we should discuss it and discuss it.
17:14:47 <clokep_> We're waiting for YOU to start the discussion.
17:15:31 <atuljangra> I've tried doing that. I'm here for the same only. :s
17:15:56 <atuljangra> So I was proposing to complete the backend and have it approved by you guys( 2 days)
17:16:32 <atuljangra> then I would try to include the file transfer UI in prefernces of IB. This would be completed by the end of this week or Monday.
17:16:38 <qheaden> flo-retina, clokep_: Does Ib only allow users to set Available, Unavailable, and Invisible statuses?
17:16:53 <qheaden> Sorry I mean offline.
17:17:18 <clokep_> qheaden: Theoretically the backend supports it.
17:17:25 <clokep_> So we should support sending it, the UI doesn't know (purposefully).
17:17:33 <atuljangra> Now, I want to know, what you guys want me to work on, during the next week, when flo is not here. I'm discussing this here, because I want flo-retina to be present when deciding this. 
17:17:47 <clokep_> atuljangra: OK. That sounds reasonable, what we've asked you repeatedly though is what you'd like the UI to look like for the FT stuff.
17:18:38 <atuljangra> I've already discussed this iirc. For preferences, we can have two tabs, one for general file transfer and other for filelink(similar to tb).
17:19:08 <atuljangra> And regarding the progress bar and other file transfer UI, we would implement the icon like Fx download panel
17:19:17 <atuljangra> which will be icon + progress bar.
17:20:56 <clokep_> atuljangra: Please remember that we're helping the three of you, each other, working on our own Instantbird stuff + work things. We all have a lot going through our minds, we might ask the same question multiple times. Usually that means we 1. weren't given a satisfactory answer or 2. we don't remember getting that answer.
17:21:08 <clokep_> Especially stuff that discussed in IRC, it's not always clear if it's an "answer" or "brainstorming"
17:21:28 <clokep_> OK, so it sounds like you have ~ 2 weeks work of worth to me.
17:23:34 <atuljangra> clokep_: Okay. So, in these two weeks, I'll complete backend and this UI changes. I am documenting this on etherpad.
17:24:28 <flo-retina> "For preferences, we can have two tabs, one for general file transfer and other for filelink" this seems backward to me. You need to first get the list of exact preferences that the user will want to have in the UI, and then decide how the UI will look.
17:25:36 <atuljangra> flo-retina: Yes. I meant the same :)
17:25:47 <atuljangra> flo-retina: Does this seem enough work for 2 weeks? :)
17:26:11 <flo-retina> "I meant the same" is 100% meaningless.
17:26:31 <clokep_> atuljangra: And florian is asking TO SEE THAT LIST, not for you to just say you'll think abou tit.
17:26:49 <flo-retina> I'll likely be back online in 2-3 hours
17:26:54 <-- flo-retina has quit (Quit: Instantbird 1.5a1pre -- http://www.instantbird.com)
17:27:45 <atuljangra> clokep_: Ok. I didn't understand it that way.
17:34:23 <clokep_> atuljangra: So, there's a few elements of UI: FileLink preferences, starting/ending transfers and showing progress.
17:34:35 <clokep_> We'd like to see mock ups of those, etc. so we know what goal we're working toward.
17:34:49 <clokep_> Additionally, getting FileLink to start in case of a transfer failure is important.
17:34:56 <clokep_> Which is mostly what you said, I think.
17:35:27 <atuljangra> clokep_: Yes. I tried starting filelink in case of a transfer failure, it worked alright for me.
17:36:21 <atuljangra> So my first work would be the fallback mechanism, and then I'll start on the starting/ending transfer UI, then preferences and then showing progress.
17:36:31 <clokep_> OK.
17:36:36 <clokep_> How are you handling the fallback?
17:36:41 <clokep_> Can you document that in the etherpad.
17:36:43 <clokep_> In more detail than you have.
17:37:06 <atuljangra> Ok. Btw I've uploaded the code for the same on my repo.
17:39:52 <qheaden> clokep_: How does this patch look? http://pastebin.instantbird.com/256742
17:40:06 <qheaden> Its my solution to having all of the statuses and allowing reverse lookup.
17:40:45 <qheaden> Note that it doesn't include the code to receive a status update from a buddy. I'm working on that now.
17:41:52 <clokep_> atuljangra: Uploading code to the repo makes it kind of hard for us to follow sometimes, it'd be nice to have logical steps of patches: e.g. "Added CloudFile code", "Modified cloudfile code to get stuff working", "Added file transfer mechanism", "Added fallback", etc.
17:42:54 <atuljangra> clokep_: So, whenever I complete something, I should upload a corresponding patch to bz?
17:43:23 <clokep_> qheaden: Umm....you don't use kExtraBuddyStatuses? I also don't really like that, I'd probably rather just have two maps that go in opposite directions.
17:43:38 <clokep_> atuljangra: We like to make several small commits, and smaller patches are easier to review.
17:43:45 <clokep_> If you upload one HUGE patch at the end of the year...we'll never finish reviewing it.
17:44:00 <atuljangra> OKay. :)
17:45:03 <qheaden> clokep_: When and where should the map be constructed? Can a map be constructed in the global space in JS?
17:46:23 <-- novabyte has quit (Quit: bye bye)
17:46:25 <clokep_> qheaden: Can't you just do it right below the other one? :(
17:46:33 <clokep_> qheaden: You know by "map" I mean "object".
17:46:48 <qheaden> clokep_: Oh. I thought you meant an actual Map() object.
17:49:05 <clokep_> Nope, sorry. :)
17:49:13 <clokep_> (And yes, you could just ubild it in the global space.)
17:53:00 <qheaden> clokep_: Is this better? http://pastebin.instantbird.com/256745
17:55:51 <clokep_> qheaden: So...umm....sorry about this, but I'm realizing something now.
17:55:56 <clokep_> We shouldn't do a reverse look up in that case.
17:56:07 <clokep_> We actually need to handle every possible update we could get form imIStatusInfo.
17:57:10 <qheaden> clokep_: So how are we to convert them to Yahoo statuses?
17:57:13 <clokep_> So you can reverse that map and include everything from http://lxr.instantbird.org/instantbird/source/chat/components/public/imIStatusInfo.idl#16 pretty much?
17:57:17 <clokep_> What do you mean?
17:57:18 <nhnt11> bbl
17:57:32 <clokep_> It's just a mapping, Instantbird's foo -> Yahoo's bar.
17:58:20 <-- mconley has quit (Connection reset by peer)
17:58:24 --> mconley_ has joined #instantbird
17:58:33 <qheaden> clokep_: Unfortunately, JS doesn't allow you to use variables as the keys when constructing the object. You can set them manually later using [].
17:59:22 * mconley_ is now known as mconley
17:59:58 <atuljangra> clokep_: Please have a look at the etherpad when you get some time.
18:00:53 <clokep_> qheaden: Right, that doesn't mean doing it the opposite makes sense though.
18:01:25 <clokep_> qheaden: I'm unsure of the best way to do it then. :-/
18:01:32 <clokep_> atuljangra: In a few minutes I will.
18:01:51 <atuljangra> clokep_: :D
18:01:58 <qheaden> clokep_: I'm confused too.
18:05:00 <clokep_> qheaden: OK, so I guess leave it as the reverse look up for now, add a comment why that is and add all the possible Instantbird statuses as values.
18:05:04 <clokep_> And I'll be happy enough w/ that right now.
18:05:31 <qheaden> clokep_: Okay. Hopefully we will figure out a better method.
18:07:58 <qheaden> clokep_: Also, do we really need comments above the reverse lookup statuses? Its a one-to-one map, and the names are self-explanitory.
18:08:08 <qheaden> *self-explanatory 
18:08:17 <clokep_> qheaden: I meant why it's a reverse look up. :)
18:08:25 <clokep_> (That you can't use the variables in a definition.)
18:08:32 <clokep_> Just include a comment in the bug.
18:08:36 <clokep_> Doesn't have to be in the file.
18:08:43 <qheaden> clokep_: Oh okay.
18:08:46 <clokep_> (So that I don't ask you the same question later. :-D)
18:09:05 <clokep_> atuljangra: Don't feel you have to immediately respond to questions on the etherpad, I'll check back son.
18:09:06 <clokep_> soon
18:09:16 <atuljangra> clokep_: Okay.
18:12:00 <clokep_> qheaden: I put some stuff onhttps://thunderbird.etherpad.mozilla.org/status-meeting-minute-taking you might want to read.
18:12:13 <clokep_> And you might want to hang out in #maildev too from now on, in case people try it out and want to poke you.
18:12:29 <qheaden> clokep_: Okay.
18:15:41 <clokep_> qheaden: If I misrepresented something there, feel free to fix it. (You can also join the call if you want, I don't think I'll be on it)
18:16:03 <qheaden> clokep_: Everything looks fine.
18:16:17 * qheaden starts to get nervous about others trying his plug-in. :P
18:19:30 <qheaden> clokep_: We have another problem. Some imIStatusInfo values map to the same Yahoo status. Thus, we can't have the reverse lookup object with multiple values of the same key.
18:19:47 <qheaden> I could use arrays, but that would turn messy fast.
18:20:07 <clokep_> qheaden: I don't think it would be much messier, just do arrays of two element arrays?
18:20:26 <clokep_> [[AVAILABLE, 0], [AWAY, foo], [INVISIBLE, bar]]
18:20:27 <qheaden> clokep_: I know you hate "switch" statements, but what if we create a getYahooStatus() function, and use a switch statement to return a Yahoo status?
18:20:40 <qheaden> That's how libpurple does it FWIW.
18:21:25 <qheaden> In that way, we can use case fallthrough and allow multiple imIStatusInfo values to return one Yahoo status code.
18:22:02 <-- Suiseiseki has quit (Ping timeout)
18:22:55 --> Suiseiseki has joined #instantbird
18:23:01 <clokep_> qheaden: That's fine. It doesn't necessary need to be a separate function btw.
18:23:14 <clokep_> qheaden: This is an instance I don't hate switch statements because it's actually using it the way it's supposed to be used. ;)
18:23:20 <qheaden> :)
18:26:49 <-- nhnt11 has quit (Quit: Instantbird 1.5a1pre -- http://www.instantbird.com)
18:27:41 <qheaden> clokep_: What should STATUS_UNKNOWN map to? Away?
18:30:50 --> clokep_wp8 has joined #instantbird
18:31:21 <clokep_wp8> We can't set ourselves as that, doesn't matter.
18:31:32 <clokep_wp8> I'm in a meeting for two hoirs.
18:31:38 <clokep_wp8> Hours. :-)
18:31:47 <-- clokep_wp8 has quit (Connection reset by peer)
18:31:49 <qheaden> clokep_wp8: Okay. No problem.
18:33:26 --> gerard-majax has joined #instantbird
18:42:38 --> FireFly_TB has joined #instantbird
18:45:38 <atuljangra> aleth: chat/ refers to the code which is general for all protocols? like sendMsg?
18:51:52 --> Mnyromyr has joined #instantbird
18:52:17 <Mook_as> chat/ refers to code that's not UI-specific, I think. (shared with thunderbird)
18:52:32 <atuljangra> Mook_as: Yes.
18:58:52 <-- mconley has quit (Connection reset by peer)
18:59:07 --> mconley has joined #instantbird
19:01:25 <atuljangra> My eyes are burning. It's pretty late now. I'll go to bed.
19:01:32 <atuljangra> GoodNight :)
19:02:10 <-- atuljangra has quit (Quit: He didn't quit, he'll be back!)
19:04:50 <-- mconley has quit (Ping timeout)
19:05:14 --> mconley has joined #instantbird
19:25:14 --> mpmc has joined #instantbird
19:31:23 <-- FireFly_TB has quit (Ping timeout)
19:32:28 <-- mconley has quit (Connection reset by peer)
19:32:44 --> mconley has joined #instantbird
19:36:02 --> Mic has joined #instantbird
19:36:02 * ChanServ sets mode +h Mic 
19:37:57 <Mic> atuljangra, aleth: I don't understand the need for imFileLinkOffer by the way.
19:38:27 --> nhnt11 has joined #instantbird
19:38:31 <Mic> Can't a notification contain the file transfer object as subject and a topic that indicates what happened?
19:38:57 <aleth> Mic: I asked that too
19:38:59 <Mic> file-transfer-started/slow/stalled/cancelled/stopped/finished.
19:39:17 <Mic> Whatever...
19:39:47 <Mic> And the UI would decide whether it needs to fall back to using FileLink.
19:39:57 <nhnt11> re
19:48:46 <aleth> Mic: Maybe add that to the etherpad as well so it doesn't get lost again?
19:49:25 <aleth> never mind, I'll do it.
19:49:35 <Mic> I'm already look ing at it
19:50:31 --> FireFly_TB has joined #instantbird
19:51:51 * qheaden is now known as qheaden_break
20:00:15 <nhnt11> Mic, aleth: Do we want to sort the list of channels?
20:00:31 <nhnt11> I'm concerned because it may be slow considering the sheer number of channels possible
20:01:10 <aleth> Sort them after filtering?
20:01:24 <nhnt11> Makes sense
20:01:31 <nhnt11> Do we even want to display them when no filter is applied?
20:01:58 <aleth> Possibly, so one can browse the list...
20:02:07 <nhnt11> But even if we sort on filtering, it may be still be expensive. Freenode probably has a ton of channels starting with "a" for example.
20:02:26 <aleth> That's OK as long as the UI isn't frozen.
20:03:18 <nhnt11> The UI froze for at least half a second when I opened a newtab, and that's with all the channels already sorted
20:03:25 <nhnt11> And only moznet, no freenode.
20:03:57 <aleth> Then that's an implementation problem. Why is it freezing? Is it only the sort or is it the actual wait for LIST results too?
20:04:17 <nhnt11> It's freezing when opening the tab, LIST results are already parsed and sorted.
20:04:48 <aleth> How can that happen? It's only O(10) elements to show, right?
20:04:50 <nhnt11> I find it confusing, I see no reason it should freeze :/
20:04:53 <nhnt11> yeah
20:05:30 <aleth> I guess you'll have to dig into this and make whatever is blocking async (if it isn't just a bug) ;)
20:06:03 <nhnt11> I'm doing some debugging now.
20:06:30 <nhnt11> Btw, it's also freezing for half a second during LIST results parsing. looking into that too.
20:06:45 <nhnt11> Ah
20:06:52 <nhnt11> It turns out it's lagging when opening a new conv window
20:06:55 <nhnt11> Not a new tab
20:07:00 <nhnt11> Successive tabs open quickly
20:07:48 <nhnt11> Mic, aleth: Also, for now, do we want channels to show up after all the contacts?
20:08:01 <nhnt11> This will change after the ranking system is in place of course
20:08:05 <Mic> We want them to show up according to their rank ;)
20:08:13 <aleth> I have no preference as that will obviously change ;)
20:15:25 <nhnt11> Mic: Can I iterate over the keys/values of a Map using for..in/of like an object?
20:16:13 <aleth> for...of works but is a bit weird, as the "value" you get is a two-element array of [key,value]
20:16:40 <nhnt11> :S
20:17:01 <aleth> for...in iterates over the properties of a Map, and by default it has none.
20:17:07 <nhnt11> That makes sense, but doesn't make sense :P (If that makes sense ;) )
20:17:42 <-- Mnyromyr has quit (Quit: ChatZilla 0.9.86 [SeaMonkey 1.1.19/2010030105])
20:18:06 <aleth> I actually suspected it was a bug until I looked up the spec ;)
20:18:28 * qheaden_break is now known as qheaden
20:18:38 <aleth> qheaden has an example ;)
20:19:25 <qheaden> nhnt11: Yeah, it returns a key/value 2-element array. It is messy looking. :P
20:19:27 * nhnt11 is tempted to just use an object :S
20:19:51 <aleth> Nothing wrong with objects ;)
20:19:52 <Mic> nhnt11: do it please if it improves the code.
20:19:58 --> rosonline has joined #instantbird
20:20:25 <-- rosonline has quit (Client exited)
20:21:19 <aleth> Btw nhnt11 you can make it prettier by using array comprehensions, like e.g. here http://lxr.instantbird.org/instantbird/source/chat/protocols/twitter/twitter.js#119
20:21:32 <nhnt11> Mic: I'm not sure yet. My initial idea was to map account id's to an array of PossibleChats for each one, but this may not be ideal. If I change it, I may keep Map.
20:22:19 <nhnt11> aleth: That's to build the map, but I have no problems there.
20:22:37 <aleth> nhnt11: I was referring to the for ([name, userInfo] of aAccount._userInfo) bit
20:22:39 <nhnt11> good to know though :)
20:22:53 <nhnt11> Oh
20:22:54 <nhnt11> Ah
20:22:58 <nhnt11> of course :D
20:23:16 <nhnt11> Thanks. That is much much much gbetter
20:23:18 <aleth> Maybe that trick would also work for qheaden?
20:23:56 <qheaden> Wow, didn't know you could do that.
20:24:26 <aleth> Should have thought of it the other day when we were discussing the [1]s...
20:28:00 <-- gerard-majax has quit (Client exited)
20:31:01 --> gerard-majax has joined #instantbird
20:41:20 <nhnt11> aleth, Mic: What do you think about this layout for newtab items for chats btw? http://puu.sh/3K0H5.png
20:41:37 <nhnt11> I'm not happy with it
20:41:51 <nhnt11> And thought I'd ask for suggestions for improvements
20:42:00 <nhnt11> The user icon obviously is wrong.
20:43:19 <Mic> The icon is wrong and the status is only accidentally offline here, I hope? The channel modes should be removed, we don't show them anywhere else (in the UI) either.
20:43:31 --> rosonline has joined #instantbird
20:43:35 <nhnt11> The channel modes will be removed
20:43:43 <nhnt11> I already have code for that actually. just not in this screenshot :P
20:43:57 <nhnt11> The status is not meant to be offline, yes.
20:44:07 <aleth> We don't need status at all here.
20:44:18 <aleth> Unless it's an existing conversation.
20:44:22 <nhnt11> Yeah.
20:44:36 <nhnt11> I thought of setting it to the MUC icon
20:44:51 <nhnt11> it would be consistent with the conversation header, sort of.
20:44:56 <aleth> We had a discussion a few weeks ago about whether to replace the account name with the network name somehow
20:45:06 <aleth> It'll be in the logs...
20:45:11 <nhnt11> aleth: What if you have two accounts for the same network?
20:45:18 <nhnt11> Then the nick would be important...
20:45:20 <Mic> aleth: that would be nice + we should add the account names if there's more than one.
20:45:21 <aleth> That's what the discussion was about ;)
20:45:31 <Mic> OK.
20:45:33 <aleth> Mic++ :)
20:45:47 <Mic> Show the network name if there's only one account, show the full account name if there's more than one.
20:45:57 <Mic> What about that?
20:46:28 <Mic> Or even "nick @ network name" even if that's not the account name?
20:46:51 <Mic> i.e. "Mic @ Mozilla" instead of "Mic@irc.mozilla.org"?
20:46:51 --> EionRobb has joined #instantbird
20:46:58 <nhnt11> Understood
20:47:07 <nhnt11> Is there a proper way to obtain the network name?
20:47:10 * nhnt11 checks
20:47:15 <Mic> nhnt11: afaik no ;)
20:47:27 <nhnt11> Hmm
20:47:52 <Mic> Maybe "afaik no" was a bit strong..
20:49:17 <Mic> I'd say leave the account name for now (or only use the server name?).
20:49:31 <Mic> The network name is for a different bug.
20:49:34 <-- clokep_ has quit (Quit: http://www.mibbit.com ajax IRC Client)
20:49:36 <aleth> FX in the awesomebar shows the key part of the domain name in bold, maybe something like that as a workaround to identify the network name?
20:50:08 <aleth> (not the bold bit necessarily, but identifying that part of the URL)
20:50:45 <aleth> Don't spend too much time on it for now though.
20:51:03 <nhnt11> The main thing I'm concerned about here is that it will be IRC specific
20:51:19 <nhnt11> (Afaik now. I haven't checked other protocols)
20:51:48 <aleth> If you did anything like this you'd want it to be part of the data the account is returning.
20:52:15 <nhnt11> Yeah, makes sense.
20:59:11 --> flo-retina has joined #instantbird
20:59:11 * ChanServ sets mode +qo flo-retina flo-retina 
21:00:09 <-- aleth has quit (Quit: Ciao)
21:00:13 <-- gerard-majax has quit (Ping timeout)
21:00:34 <nhnt11> I'm going to push the LIST code to bitbucket soon btw
21:05:14 <GeekShadow> hello
21:05:28 <GeekShadow> how can you detect the cpu arch in xulrunner ?
21:07:09 <flo-retina> nhnt11: I think I would like to sort channels by their participant count
21:07:12 <flo-retina> if that makes sense
21:07:58 <nhnt11> Hmm
21:14:27 <flo-retina> GeekShadow: Services.appinfo.XPCOMABI;
21:19:14 <nhnt11> Mic, flo-retina: Does /list cause the UI to freeze for you on a debug build?
21:19:19 <-- nhnt11 has quit (Quit: Instantbird 1.5a1pre -- http://www.instantbird.com)
21:19:23 --> nhnt11 has joined #instantbird
21:19:44 <flo-retina> nhnt11: on which server? Is /list even displayed anywhere in the UI?
21:19:50 <nhnt11> flo-retina: Server tab.
21:19:57 <nhnt11> But it freezes for me even without the server tab open
21:20:04 <nhnt11> On freenode in particular I guess
21:20:53 <nhnt11> okay, I just confirmed. Without any of my LIST code, the UI freezes when I do a /list on freenoe
21:21:18 <nhnt11> On a debug build. It lags on a normal build, but doesn't freeze.
21:21:24 * nhnt11 is glad it's not his patch.
21:21:59 <-- chrisccoulson has quit (Quit: OSError: [Errno 130] Owner died)
21:23:29 --> aleth has joined #instantbird
21:23:29 * ChanServ sets mode +h aleth 
21:23:42 <nhnt11> I've pushed my code. I'm putting up a to-do list for it on my etherpad.
21:24:15 <aleth> nhnt11: Turn off the server tab in the account options or disable the logging to server tab and try again?
21:24:45 <nhnt11> aleth: Server tab was disabled.
21:24:53 <nhnt11> I'll try disabling logging.
21:25:56 <nhnt11> aleth: No better. UI still freezes completely
21:26:24 <aleth> Does it still freeze if you comment out all the handling of the LIST messages in the IRC code?
21:26:42 <aleth> Then it'll be a more complicated problem to solve :-S
21:26:48 <aleth> gtg
21:26:49 <nhnt11> Do you mean return without doing anything in the handler for RPL_LIST?
21:26:51 <-- aleth has quit (Quit: Ciao)
21:27:37 <nhnt11> If that's what you meant, yes it still freezes.
21:29:01 <flo-retina> This seems to indicate we really need to get the gecko profiler to work in Instantbird ;)
21:29:49 <nhnt11> I've put a to-do list up on the etherpad. 
21:30:30 <GeekShadow> flo-retina, thanks :)
21:30:42 <nhnt11> Most of it shouldn't take too long. The last point may take some thinking though. I need to go to bed soon so I'll finish this off tomorrow.
21:31:12 <flo-retina> nhnt11: both Atul and you keep talking about "the etherpad" tonight. You must be talking about the same one, right? :-P
21:31:42 <nhnt11> flo-retina: I figured it was obvious I'd be talking about /my/ etherpad? Sorry.. https://etherpad.mozilla.org/instantbird-gsoc-2013-awesometab
21:32:01 <-- FireFly_TB has quit (Ping timeout)
21:32:04 <flo-retina> nhnt11: it was. But the URL of it wasn't obvious.
21:32:07 * flo-retina is tired too ;)
21:32:11 <flo-retina> thanks
21:32:41 <flo-retina> nhnt11: are you blocked on getting feedback?
21:32:53 * flo-retina is trying to decide if he should just go to bed now, or look at a patch
21:33:03 <nhnt11> flo-retina: Feedback on what? The LIST stuff or the patch on bug 2055
21:33:05 <qheaden> I have to go now. I'll probably be back on later tonight.
21:33:07 <instantbot> Bug https://bugzilla.instantbird.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2055 enh, --, ---, nhnt11, ASSI, New conversation tab needs to display open conversations and those on hold.
21:33:15 <qheaden> flo-retina: I want to try to complete a patch before you leave.
21:33:21 <flo-retina> nhnt11: whatever :)
21:33:23 <qheaden> Although I'm not sure if that is possible.
21:33:32 <flo-retina> nhnt11: just wondering if you need something from me now
21:33:35 <nhnt11> flo-retina: If you could look at the patch on that bug, that would be great, but please don't take too much trouble if you're tired.
21:37:14 * qheaden is now known as qheaden_away
21:46:04 --> chrisccoulson has joined #instantbird
21:49:53 <nhnt11> Mic: Do you have any ideas for a statusIcon for PossibleChat items? Analogous to the tag icon and the tab icon for switch to conv
21:52:30 <Mic> Sorry, I don't understand what icon you might mean.
21:53:12 <nhnt11> Er, we have the tag icon next to the tag text for newtab-items that are built from PossibleContacts, and a tab icon next to the "Switch to conversation" string for those built from ExistingConversations
21:53:38 <nhnt11> I was wondering if we could think of an icon to have next to the account name/server name in case of those built from PossibleChats
21:54:06 <flo-retina> the MUC icon, and the "Join Chat" text?
21:54:25 <flo-retina> I'm still not convinced that's the right place to show the account name / network
21:54:35 <nhnt11> flo-retina: I'm not either.
21:54:47 <nhnt11> "Join Chat" seems good actually.
21:54:47 <flo-retina> #instantbird@irc.mozilla.org makes more sense
21:54:58 <flo-retina> and maybe the @irc.mozilla.org part could be in grey
21:55:08 <nhnt11> flo-retina: The nick may be important too, though.
21:55:30 <flo-retina> how many users will have more than one IRC nick per network?
21:55:38 <nhnt11> Fair enough :)
21:58:45 <nhnt11> flo-retina, Mic: How does this look? http://puu.sh/3K4ri.png
21:59:03 <nhnt11> The status icon currently reflects the connected state of the account.
21:59:19 <nhnt11> (I realize this is not be what we want, but I've kept it that way for now)
21:59:26 <nhnt11> s/not be/not
22:08:51 <flo-retina> nhnt11: better!
22:09:20 <flo-retina> nhnt11: the topic doesn't look aligned with the room name, could there be a leading space left after removing the modes?
22:09:47 <nhnt11> Ah yes, you're right
22:09:48 <nhnt11> thanks.
22:10:20 <flo-retina> nhnt11: is that the kind of details that you don't see, but can't not-see as soon as someone mentioned it? ;)
22:10:28 <nhnt11> Yeah!
22:10:53 <Mic> Yes, it's definitely better looking but what about the account name now?
22:11:07 <Mic> Shouldn't it be somewhere for disambiguation?
22:11:10 <nhnt11> Yeah
22:11:36 <nhnt11> Not sure where. Putting it next to display name and greying it out seems good.
22:11:43 <Mic> Maybe only if there's more than one account of the protocol?
22:12:52 <nhnt11> Yeah..
22:12:59 <-- Suiseiseki has quit (Ping timeout)
22:13:45 <nhnt11> This is what I had in mind for the user icon, by the way: http://puu.sh/3K58R.png
22:13:58 <nhnt11> It's not great work but something like that will look nice, I think.
22:15:35 <Mic> I've tried something similar as well :)
22:15:47 --> Suiseiseki has joined #instantbird
22:16:20 <Mic> I placed the left and right people lower than the center one though, let me try to find the image.
22:16:58 <nhnt11> Here it is with the left and right people fading away at the bottom so it doesn't look abrupt: http://puu.sh/3K5iG.png
22:17:27 <nhnt11> Mic: I haven't thought of doing it like that, I'd like to see it! :)
22:18:19 * nhnt11 wonders what flo-retina thinks about those
22:18:45 <flo-retina> nhnt11: I think that we need to get someone who is good at icons to do it ;)
22:19:08 <nhnt11> :P
22:19:46 <flo-retina> I'm not good at icons ;)
22:21:10 <Mic> It's not in my IB image folder so I most likely don't have it anymore.
22:21:52 <nhnt11> Oh ok
22:21:53 <Mic> It wasn't exactly nice either because I modified the existing image instead of creating it anew.
22:22:02 <nhnt11> So did I ;)
22:22:47 * nhnt11 doesn't mind using the second icon he made with the faded thing until someone makes a better one
22:22:55 <nhnt11> Using the normal userIcon for MUCs annoys me :S
22:25:28 * nhnt11 goes to bed.
22:25:30 <nhnt11> Good night.
22:25:39 <Mic> Good night
22:27:40 <flo-retina> nhnt11: why is _forceRefresh a field?
22:28:00 <flo-retina> (it looks like it wants to be an optional parameter to the refresh method)
22:28:38 <nhnt11> flo-retina: How would that work with executeSoon?
22:28:58 <nhnt11> If a delayedRefresh is already scheduled for example
22:29:18 <flo-retina> second parameter to bind?
22:29:31 <flo-retina> hmm, yeah, ok
22:30:25 <nhnt11> flo-retina: Should I stay up for a few more minutes if you're reviewing/giving feedback?
22:30:35 <flo-retina> I think we should both go to bed ;
22:30:36 <flo-retina> )
22:30:41 <nhnt11> :)
22:30:50 --> clokep has joined #instantbird
22:30:50 * ChanServ sets mode +o clokep 
22:32:00 <clokep> Hello.
22:32:19 <nhnt11> Oh yeah. clokep, could you test the newtab theming on aero? http://log.bezut.info/instantbird/130721#m173
22:32:58 <clokep> nhnt11: Sure, give me....10 - 15 minutes and I'll see what I can do.
22:33:35 <nhnt11> Sure, could you leave a message here saying whether it worked or not? Or a screenshot or something. I'm probably going to bed in a minute.
22:36:13 <nhnt11> Bye.
22:36:14 <-- nhnt11 has quit (Quit: Instantbird 1.5a1pre -- http://www.instantbird.com)
22:49:06 <instantbot> florian@instantbird.org granted feedback for attachment 2625 on bug 2055.
22:49:08 <instantbot> Bug https://bugzilla.instantbird.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2055 enh, --, ---, nhnt11, ASSI, New conversation tab needs to display open conversations and those on hold.
22:52:47 --> wnayes has joined #instantbird
22:53:45 <-- flo-retina has quit (Ping timeout)
22:54:34 --> flo-retina has joined #instantbird
22:54:34 * ChanServ sets mode +qo flo-retina flo-retina 
22:55:17 <-- wnayes has quit (Client exited)
22:56:17 --> wnayes has joined #instantbird
23:02:13 --> novabyte has joined #instantbird
23:02:14 <-- novabyte has quit (Quit: novabyte)
23:08:50 <-- flo-retina has quit (Ping timeout)
23:09:05 --> flo-retina has joined #instantbird
23:09:05 * ChanServ sets mode +qo flo-retina flo-retina 
23:23:42 <Mic> Good night
23:23:47 <-- Mic has quit (Quit: Instantbird -- http://www.instantbird.com)
23:24:08 <clokep> nhnt11: http://log.bezut.info/instantbird/130721#m173 looks like http://i.imgur.com/ZqvEwus.png