#instantbird log on 07 10 2013

All times are UTC.

00:00:50 <-- mconley has quit (Ping timeout)
00:31:42 --> FireFly_TB has joined #instantbird
00:33:36 <-- FireFly_TB has quit (Ping timeout)
00:40:06 <-- wnayes has quit (Ping timeout)
00:43:15 <-- Mook_as has quit (Quit: Mook_as)
00:43:31 --> wnayes has joined #instantbird
01:00:54 --> clokep has joined #instantbird
01:00:54 * ChanServ sets mode +o clokep 
01:05:13 <clokep> qheaden: Did you decide what to work on? :P
01:05:46 <nhnt11> clokep: Could you help me with this comment?
01:05:50 <nhnt11> (One second)
01:05:54 <clokep> nhnt11: Maybe.
01:07:03 <nhnt11> Comment for kAddMoreElementsThreshold - "Add more elements when scrolling when the last visible element's last index is less than or equal to this value."
01:07:39 <nhnt11> Er, that may not have made sense.
01:07:44 <nhnt11> (Which is why I need to change the comment)
01:07:51 <clokep> Umm...yes, that doesn't make sense. :)
01:08:48 <nhnt11> So what happens is, while scrolling, we extend the list when there are three elements left that aren't displayed (the last visible element is fourth from the end of the list)
01:09:04 <nhnt11> Hmm, what I just said may actually may be a good comment if properly worded
01:09:22 <clokep> :)
01:09:48 * nhnt11 just came back from breakfast and coffee, that must have helped :)
01:11:46 <qheaden> clokep: Sorry, I was afk. I just decided to implement the feedback you have given me.
01:11:51 <qheaden> I'm about to push a few small commits.
01:12:37 <clokep> qheaden: OK, I haven't looked at your newest ones.
01:12:38 <clokep> Will soon.
01:13:02 <qheaden> clokep: No rush. :)
01:18:49 <clokep> qheaden: Does https://bitbucket.org/qheaden/instantbird-gsoc-2013/commits/c2177b373bb717a773192fb837bb6074f3686bcc actually work?
01:18:52 <clokep> Without the function() there?
01:26:41 <clokep> qheaden: That's my only comment.
01:35:32 <instantbot> nhnt11@gmail.com cancelled review?(benediktp@ymail.com ) for attachment 2559 on bug 2015.
01:35:33 <instantbot> nhnt11@gmail.com requested review from aleth@instantbird.o rg for attachment 2562 on bug 2015.
01:35:39 <instantbot> Bug https://bugzilla.instantbird.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2015 enh, --, ---, nhnt11, NEW, Display buddy list in a tab.
01:46:27 <qheaden> clokep: Ahh, sorry about that.
01:48:53 <qheaden> clokep: This is 111 characters. How should I split this line http://pastebin.instantbird.com/241648
01:49:11 <clokep> qheaden: http://pastebin.instantbird.com/241649
01:49:33 <qheaden> clokep: Thanks.
01:52:25 <-- nhnt11 has quit (Quit: Instantbird 1.5a1pre -- http://www.instantbird.com)
01:55:44 --> Mook has joined #instantbird
01:56:07 <EionRobb> there should be some kind of auto wrapping functionality built into text editors to make that easier
01:58:26 <qheaden> EionRobb: I know Vim has something like that.
01:58:44 <EionRobb> {everything} has something like that
02:01:18 <clokep> Komodo does that. :)
02:02:00 <qheaden> I don't know why, but I've never been fond of auto wrapping.
02:02:07 --> nhnt11 has joined #instantbird
02:02:12 <EionRobb> so who's silly policy is it to make all text 80 chars, and have to spend time worry about where to put a newline rather than worrying about code logic? :)
02:02:28 * clokep never worries about it and just formats the code to look nicely. :P
02:02:34 <clokep> Just you students ask all the time. ;)
02:02:42 <qheaden> :P
02:03:00 <qheaden> I remember the last bug I worked on with Firefox, they were pretty draconian about the 80 char rule. :P
02:03:21 <EionRobb> do they still use 320x240 terminals?
02:03:28 <qheaden> I think they do.
02:03:43 <qheaden> They said something about being able to compare code side by side in terminal windows or something.
02:04:39 <EionRobb> I didn't know firefox worked in a terminal :P
02:06:07 <qheaden> EionRobb: I'm 99.99% sure that was a joke, but just in case, they mean for the code editors. ;)
02:06:44 <EionRobb> if they want to use some ancient code editor, that should be their problem, not the rest of the world's
02:07:03 <qheaden> EionRobb: Would you mind assisting me for a quick minute to test the Yahoo Conferences like we did a few days ago?
02:07:20 <EionRobb> sure thing
02:07:21 <qheaden> I want to test it outside of my network.
02:07:39 <EionRobb> but only if you limit the messages you send to 80 chars
02:07:46 <qheaden> :P
02:08:01 <EionRobb> I can't remember what the yahoo user was
02:08:07 <qheaden> ibprpltest
02:11:52 <clokep> Very original. :)
02:14:35 <qheaden> EionRobb: You didn't get the second invite?
02:14:37 <-- EionRobb has quit (Connection reset by peer)
02:15:19 <qheaden> clokep: EionRobb made some good observations. He noticed that the invite message and conference topic were undefined.
02:15:36 <qheaden> But he was able to invite me and chat, and I was able to invite him and chat.
02:15:52 <clokep> OK, so add those to the list of things we need to handle.
02:16:21 --> EionRobb has joined #instantbird
02:16:39 <qheaden> EionRobb: Did my second invite crash your PC? :P
02:16:50 <EionRobb> if only!
02:16:56 <EionRobb> nah, my screenshot plugin decided to misbehave
02:17:03 <EionRobb> was going to show you the 'undefined' stuff
02:17:12 <qheaden> Ahh okay.
02:17:48 <qheaden> EionRobb: You wanted me to re-invite you so that you can take another screenshot?
02:18:30 <clokep> EionRobb: You going to the GSoC summit by any chance?
02:18:38 <EionRobb> qheaden: sure
02:18:41 <EionRobb> clokep: nope
02:18:44 <EionRobb> can't get time off work
02:18:48 <clokep> :(
02:19:03 * qheaden wishes students were invited. :(
02:19:07 <EionRobb> I'm only allowed to have 80 characters per year but I have 111
02:19:21 <EionRobb> clokep: hopefully next year
02:19:27 <EionRobb> or you can come to NZ and visit if you like :)
02:19:52 <clokep> EionRobb: I was just telling my friend today how I'd love to go to NZ! :P
02:20:14 <EionRobb> well if you need a place to stay, you can couchsurf at ours
02:21:37 <clokep> Thanks. :) I don't have money for that after going to Europe twice this year. :P
02:23:02 <qheaden> EionRobb: Am I still in the conference room?
02:23:08 <EionRobb> nope
02:23:12 <qheaden> Great.
02:24:35 * qheaden is excited to be chatting so well using his plug-in.
02:25:14 <clokep> You've made great progress. :)
02:26:04 <qheaden> EionRobb: BTW, I suggest you remove ibprpltest from your friends list after our test. I tend to login/logout about 30 times or more a day when developing. :P
02:26:14 <EionRobb> meh
02:26:19 <qheaden> :P
02:26:23 <EionRobb> I have a million buddies on my buddy list that do the same
02:26:30 <qheaden> Ha ha.
02:26:31 <EionRobb> maybe 2 million
02:26:36 <EionRobb> true story :|
02:26:38 <clokep> qheaden: FYI I do have a Yahoo account...so if you want to test something, let me know.
02:27:07 <qheaden> clokep: Ahh okay, I didn't know that. Perhaps we can all do some sort of conference chat soon.
02:27:36 <EionRobb> clokep: but which program do you use for yahoo? ;)
02:27:37 <clokep> Replace #instantbird with a Yahoo one? :P
02:27:44 <clokep> EionRobb: Instantbird, but it's libpurple's. :P
02:27:47 <qheaden> :P
02:28:01 <qheaden> clokep: In fact, could you log in right now?
02:28:16 <EionRobb> make a bridge between all protocols and #instantbird plzkthx
02:28:21 <qheaden> Testing with three people would be even better.
02:28:21 * clokep is always logged in...
02:28:38 <qheaden> clokep: Send ibprpltest a buddy request.
02:28:39 <EionRobb> that'd be interesting to see how libpurple yahoo in IB works for MUC's
02:29:26 <clokep> If it even works. ;)
02:29:31 <qheaden> EionRobb: Look out for another conference invite.
02:31:09 <EionRobb> clokep: yeah, don't know if it will since IB only half implements the libpurple stuff (i.e. no 'request' ui)
02:34:14 <clokep> qheaden, EionRobb: http://i.imgur.com/VlmFBUz.png
02:36:10 * clokep has quit.
02:36:42 <qheaden> I think the problem is that when I send a conference logon packet, I'm not including the list of people in the room in a particular key.
02:37:07 <EionRobb> you're not creating two different conferences with the same name?
02:37:15 <qheaden> Because I do a lot of my testing with only two accounts, since three can be kind of cumbersome for one person, the packets in Wireshark only broadcast to one other user.
02:37:53 * qheaden goes to fill up his BitBucket bug tracker.
02:38:23 <EionRobb> I invited clokep in and I can see him now
02:39:02 <qheaden> EionRobb: Yeah, its a packet key/value issue. I'm looking for a fix now.
02:39:54 <-- wnayes has quit (Ping timeout)
02:40:03 <EionRobb> I'll believe you
02:40:53 * qheaden wonders if the student's names will be included in the Ib credits after this summer?
02:41:01 <qheaden> *students'
02:41:19 <clokep> qheaden: We include the names of people who have made significant contributions.
02:41:45 <qheaden> Ahh okay.
02:41:47 <clokep> (So, assuming your code lands, yes. :P)
02:42:00 <qheaden> :P
02:42:12 <qheaden> I will be the third Quentin in the list. :P
02:42:36 <clokep> qheaden: Are you still in that channel? :-S I think that name is offline now, but it shows you in the list still
02:43:03 <clokep> They're taking over!
02:43:04 <qheaden> clokep: Well, it looks like I have more work to do. :P
02:43:18 * clokep needs to go to bed. :(
02:43:27 * qheaden needs to go to bed too.
02:43:30 --> wnayes has joined #instantbird
02:43:32 <-- wnayes has quit (Quit: wnayes)
02:43:44 <EionRobb> is that an invitation?
02:43:47 <qheaden> EionRobb, clokep: Thanks for helping me out.
02:50:01 <qheaden> clokep: So my name stayed in the conference although I left it?
02:50:24 <EionRobb> you haven't left it :)
02:50:40 <qheaden> EionRobb: ibprpltest tends to lie. Don't pay attention! :P
02:50:41 <clokep> qheaden: Yes?
02:50:57 * qheaden goes to add another issue to the tracker.
02:56:33 <qheaden> Well, I'm heading to bed. Thanks again for the help EionRobb and clokep.
02:58:51 <clokep> No problem, keep up the good work.
02:59:20 <EionRobb> stop inviting me to bed! I'm at work dontchya know!
02:59:57 <qheaden> ^ lol ^
03:00:18 <qheaden> Bye all.
03:00:30 * qheaden is now known as qheaden_away
03:03:48 <-- clokep has quit (Connection reset by peer)
03:11:39 <instant-buildbot> build #905 of linux-nightly-default is complete: Success [build successful]  Build details are at http://buildbot.instantbird.org/builders/linux-nightly-default/builds/905
03:33:51 <instant-buildbot> build #897 of macosx-nightly-default is complete: Success [build successful]  Build details are at http://buildbot.instantbird.org/builders/macosx-nightly-default/builds/897
03:50:50 --> mconley has joined #instantbird
04:06:41 --> FireFly_TB has joined #instantbird
05:01:09 <-- mconley has quit (Input/output error)
05:30:26 <-- Optimizer has quit (Ping timeout)
05:31:23 --> Optimizer has joined #instantbird
05:35:35 <-- EionRobb has quit (Ping timeout)
05:38:56 --> EionRobb has joined #instantbird
05:40:44 <-- EionRobb has quit (Ping timeout)
06:06:57 <-- FireFly_TB has quit (Quit: FireFly_TB)
06:16:55 --> EionRobb has joined #instantbird
06:18:46 <-- EionRobb has quit (Ping timeout)
06:19:33 --> EionRobb has joined #instantbird
06:31:08 --> Mic has joined #instantbird
06:31:08 * ChanServ sets mode +h Mic 
06:45:42 --> jb has joined #instantbird
06:56:58 <Mic> Hi
06:57:02 <Mic> Good morning
07:00:11 <EionRobb> ello
07:00:33 <-- jb has quit (Quit: jb)
07:00:59 <-- Mook has quit (Ping timeout)
07:16:51 --> gerard-majax_ has joined #instantbird
07:26:25 --> jb has joined #instantbird
07:48:50 <Mic> nhnt11: I can't try your latest patch at the moment. Would you check for me if the new conversation tab has the correct item in the alltabs menu that appears when there are many tabs?
07:49:49 <Mic> *correct icon
07:54:48 <-- jb has quit (Ping timeout)
08:02:07 --> jb has joined #instantbird
08:04:16 --> mpmc has joined #instantbird
08:43:56 --> nhnt11_phone has joined #instantbird
08:44:18 <nhnt11_phone> Mic: I forgot about that...
08:44:33 <nhnt11_phone> I have no idea if it will work there
08:46:50 <Mic> Let me see...
08:49:34 <Mic> Maybe if we make tabbrowser put an extra class on menuitems that non-conversation tabs can use to customize the item?
08:53:50 <nhnt11_phone> Mic: I'm not sure what you're getting at. Are you talking about the all tabs menu? 
08:53:57 <Mic> Yes, exactly.
08:54:03 <Mic> And then use something like: http://pastebin.instantbird.com/241918
08:55:07 <Mic> Note that there are no spaces before the ".newtab-tab" class names to select items that have both the other class name and "newtab-tab".
08:55:40 <nhnt11> Hmm
08:55:46 <-- nhnt11_phone has quit (Quit: AndroIRC - Android IRC Client ( http://www.androirc.com ))
08:56:37 <Mic> The sure has a higher specificity than the other which means "!important" is no longer needed either (which is good because !important should always be the last resort).
08:56:58 <Mic> *The rule has
08:57:14 <Mic> Rather "Each of the rules".
08:57:23 <nhnt11> Oh okay
08:57:38 <Mic> meh. "Other = the one for tabbrowser-tabs in general"
08:58:04 <nhnt11> I still think it's cleaner to just set the src for the image :(
08:59:16 <nhnt11> Hmm, but I have no idea if that worked in the alltabs menu either :P
08:59:23 <Mic> It does.
08:59:28 <nhnt11> :)
09:00:20 <-- gerard-majax_ has quit (Ping timeout)
09:00:34 <-- flo-retina has quit (Quit: Instantbird 1.5a1pre -- http://www.instantbird.com)
09:01:29 --> gerard-majax_ has joined #instantbird
09:01:42 <nhnt11> Mic: An attribute is used for setting the icon for MUC tabs
09:01:58 <nhnt11> Why not use an attribute like "newtab"?
09:02:03 <Mic> Can you point me to the source?
09:02:13 <nhnt11> Mic: The paste you just sent :)
09:02:18 <nhnt11> The last few lines..
09:02:39 <Mic> Ah, indeed!
09:03:05 <nhnt11> I think my first idea for this was to use an attribute, actually.
09:03:40 <Mic> Sounds good, please do it the same way for the tab itself then.
09:04:06 <nhnt11> Hmm, now I'm wondering if alltabs-items inherit all attributes or if I need to forward it
09:04:09 <nhnt11> Mic: Of course :)
09:04:48 <Mic> http://lxr.instantbird.org/instantbird/source/instantbird/content/tabbrowser.xml#1904
09:05:08 <nhnt11> Ah, thanks!
09:06:46 <Mic> What about an attribute that holds the type of the tab?
09:07:05 <nhnt11> Makes sense.
09:07:09 <Mic> And you rule would include an attribute selector like [tabtype="newtab"]
09:07:12 <nhnt11> Yeah
09:07:53 <nhnt11> I'm going to file a separate bug for this
09:08:05 <nhnt11> (I think that's the way to go?)
09:09:31 <Mic> Yes, I'd suggest either to fix it first or to go with what you have at the moment (setting the image source) and change it in a follow-up.
09:09:48 <nhnt11> Uh, I'll just fix it :)
09:13:40 <instantbot> New Instantbird (UI) bug 2035 filed by nhnt11@gmail.com.
09:13:43 <instantbot> Bug https://bugzilla.instantbird.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2035 enh, --, ---, nobody, NEW, Tabbrowser tab needs an attribute that tells CSS what kind of tab it is.
09:14:41 <nhnt11> Mic: Do you think setting the value of the attribute to the node name of the panel is sufficient?
09:17:06 <Mic> I think that's OK.
09:20:00 --> gerard-majax__ has joined #instantbird
09:20:54 <-- gerard-majax_ has quit (Ping timeout)
09:23:36 <-- nhnt11 has quit (Ping timeout)
09:24:23 --> nhnt11 has joined #instantbird
09:24:39 <nhnt11> Mic: I think this is enough? http://pastebin.instantbird.com/241929
09:26:56 <Mic> Looks good
09:27:44 <instantbot> nhnt11@gmail.com requested review from benediktp@ymail.com  for attachment 2563 on bug 2035.
09:27:46 <instantbot> Bug https://bugzilla.instantbird.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2035 enh, --, ---, nhnt11, ASSI, Tabbrowser tab needs an attribute that tells CSS what kind of tab it is.
09:28:15 * Mic just created an icon for offline Twitter timelines. I hope it's not offending anyone: http://minus.com/lrNTP4VKKchjg ;)
09:28:53 <nhnt11> Hahaha
09:29:37 <nhnt11> I'll be back later
09:35:16 <-- nhnt11 has quit (Quit: Instantbird 1.5a1pre -- http://www.instantbird.com)
09:35:26 --> nhnt11 has joined #instantbird
09:40:45 <instantbot> nhnt11@gmail.com cancelled review?(aleth@instantbird.o rg) for attachment 2562 on bug 2015.
09:40:46 <instantbot> nhnt11@gmail.com requested review from aleth@instantbird.o rg for attachment 2564 on bug 2015.
09:40:48 <instantbot> Bug https://bugzilla.instantbird.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2015 enh, --, ---, nhnt11, NEW, Display buddy list in a tab.
09:45:24 --> flo-retina has joined #instantbird
09:45:24 * ChanServ sets mode +qo flo-retina flo-retina 
09:46:28 <flo-retina> Mic: lol @ http://minus.com/lrNTP4VKKchjg :)
09:49:10 <flo-retina> nhnt11: I wonder how Thunderbird handle icons for tabs
09:51:41 --> nhnt11_n7 has joined #instantbird
09:53:36 <nhnt11_n7> flo-retina: does that mean you're not happy with the proposed solution? :P
09:55:58 <flo-retina> yeah
09:57:05 <flo-retina> I don't even understand how the chat tab icon gets set on Tb :-S
09:57:08 <nhnt11_n7> Okay. I'll do more research then
09:59:08 --> atuljangra has joined #instantbird
09:59:42 <atuljangra> Hello!
10:00:49 <flo-retina> this is how the icon gets set for the "all tabs" menu btw: http://mxr.mozilla.org/comm-central/source/mail/base/content/tabmail.xml#2483
10:00:51 <Mic> Hi atuljangra!
10:00:55 <flo-retina> atuljangra: good "morning".
10:03:14 --> clokep has joined #instantbird
10:03:14 * ChanServ sets mode +o clokep 
10:03:36 <nhnt11_n7> flo-retina: Okay, that works, but I figured having a tabtype attribute would be useful in the future too
10:04:07 * nhnt11_n7 cannot understand why auto-correct is disabled in this IRC app.
10:04:25 <-- mpmc has quit (Quit: Instantbird 1.5a1pre -- http://www.instantbird.com)
10:04:40 <atuljangra> Mic: Hi :-)
10:04:56 <flo-retina> nhnt11_n7: maybe call the attribute "type" like Thunderbird does? http://mxr.mozilla.org/comm-central/source/mail/base/content/tabmail.xml#578
10:05:11 <atuljangra> flo-retina: Sorry I had an appointment. Will work late night to compensate for it :)
10:05:41 <nhnt11_n7> flo-retina: Oh, was it the name of the attributr yo
10:05:51 <nhnt11_n7> Attribute you didn't like?*
10:06:24 <flo-retina> that may be a way to phrase it, but it wasn't exactly that
10:06:46 <flo-retina> what I disliked is I was under the impression we were reinventing something instead of porting something that already existed
10:07:48 <nhnt11_n7> "Was under the impression" - you're okay with it now? :)
10:09:38 <flo-retina> mostly
10:09:58 <flo-retina> I also think I've already spent more time than this is worth searching for an alternative solution, so whatever we have will do ;)
10:11:07 <nhnt11_n7> Okay :
10:11:09 <nhnt11_n7> :)
10:11:57 <nhnt11_n7> I'll be back in about half an hour
10:12:02 <nhnt11_n7> Bye
10:12:06 <-- nhnt11_n7 has quit (Quit: AndroIRC - Android IRC Client ( http://www.androirc.com ))
10:12:28 <flo-retina> I think I would rather use "type" instead of "tabtype" just to match Tb (in case that wasn't clear from the above conversation)
10:38:01 <flo-retina> bah :(
10:38:20 <flo-retina> Error: ReferenceError: getTabBrowser is not defined Source File: chrome://instantbird/content/macgestures.js Line: 167
10:38:27 <flo-retina> when attempting to section scroll in the log viewer
10:38:53 <Mic> Do we even support that in the log viewer?
10:39:01 <flo-retina> of course we did
10:39:13 <flo-retina> it's currently completely broken though :-S
10:41:37 <Mic> OK, I see. It was introduced when aleth added the single log entries for each day, wasn't it?
10:41:55 <instantbot> New Instantbird (UI) bug 2036 filed by florian@instantbird.org.
10:41:58 <instantbot> Bug https://bugzilla.instantbird.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2036 nor, --, ---, nobody, NEW, Section scrolling with swipe gesture broken in the log viewer
10:42:19 <flo-retina> Mic: yeah, before that it just scrolled to the top/bottom of the view
10:43:59 <atuljangra> i'll be back in about half an hour. Going to eat something.
10:44:12 <-- atuljangra has quit (Quit: will be right back)
11:00:06 <-- clokep has quit (Quit: Instantbird 1.5a1pre -- http://www.instantbird.com)
11:08:45 --> mpmc has joined #instantbird
11:22:16 --> atuljangra has joined #instantbird
11:24:50 <nhnt11> flo-retina: http://log.bezut.info/instantbird/130710/#m277 - It was clear :)
11:26:44 <nhnt11> flo-retina: For bug 2036, is it okay to check for "scrollToNextSection" in getBrowser() instead of getTabBrowser().selectedConversation?
11:26:50 <instantbot> Bug https://bugzilla.instantbird.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2036 nor, --, ---, nobody, NEW, Section scrolling with swipe gesture broken in the log viewer
11:27:12 <nhnt11> (http://lxr.instantbird.org/instantbird/source/instantbird/content/macgestures.js#156)
11:27:43 <-- EionRobb has quit (Quit: Leaving.)
11:27:52 --> mikk_s has joined #instantbird
11:28:04 <-- mikk_s has quit (Quit: Instantbird 1.4 -- http://www.instantbird.com)
11:28:19 --> EionRobb has joined #instantbird
11:30:01 <-- EionRobb has quit (Ping timeout)
11:43:45 <Mic> bye!
11:44:15 <nhnt11> bye Mic
11:44:57 <-- Mic has quit (Quit: Instantbird -- http://www.instantbird.com)
11:55:18 <-- jb has quit (Ping timeout)
12:00:56 --> clokep_ has joined #instantbird
12:02:45 --> jb has joined #instantbird
12:22:33 <flo-retina> nhnt11:  "scrollToNextSection" in getBrowser() seems reasonable
12:24:59 <-- jb has quit (Ping timeout)
12:28:04 <clokep_> atuljangra: I can't open that.
12:28:24 <atuljangra> clokep_: lmpbtfy
12:28:49 <atuljangra> http://pastebin.instantbird.com/242038
12:29:50 <atuljangra> clokep_: does the argument to file.write seem good?
12:34:40 <clokep_> atuljangra: Hm, well first of all it would seem we should make a "StringToArrayBuffer" in this case, it does ask for an ArrayBufferView, I don't know if you can give it a raw ArrayBuffer or if you need to encapsulate it into a view first (e.g. let dataToWrite = new Uint8Array(BytesToArrayBuffer(StringToBytes(decodedData)));)
12:34:44 <clokep_> But it looks reasonable, ye.s
12:35:23 * clokep_ wonders if you really have a string or not though.
12:35:32 <atuljangra> I have a string.
12:35:49 <clokep_> Is that after you've done btoa or something? It would really be useful to give context in these questions...
12:35:57 <atuljangra> So I do need to encapsulate it into a view and then pass it as an argument?
12:36:11 <-- nhnt11 has quit (Ping timeout)
12:36:33 --> nhnt11 has joined #instantbird
12:36:46 <atuljangra> yes, i got decoded data after atob(), which gives a string.
12:39:48 <clokep_> atuljangra: I think I just said "I don't know, try it both ways and see which works."
12:39:59 <clokep_> That'll be faster than me guessing and looking at documentation in between work. ;)
12:40:08 <-- clokep_ has quit (Quit: http://www.mibbit.com ajax IRC Client)
12:40:22 <atuljangra> heh, was doing that only :P :)
12:41:34 <flo-retina> atuljangra: "guessing and looking at documentation in between work"? :-P
12:42:01 --> clokep_ has joined #instantbird
12:42:09 <atuljangra> flo-retina: no no :P
12:42:28 <atuljangra> This is fun https://etherpad.mozilla.org/funsummitideas
12:44:20 <clokep_> atuljangra: So where are we on the FT stuff?
12:45:28 <atuljangra> clokep_: I mailed the report on yesterdays work. And currently I'm finishing file i/o and ui binding. Will have the patch ready for feedback today.
12:47:33 <clokep_> OK.
12:48:07 <clokep_> atuljangra: Could you maybe put up a patch with just the backend before you start the UI bits? I don't know exactly when flo-retina and I will have time to start looking over it, so if it's available earlier that might help. :)
12:48:29 <clokep_> qheaden_away: Could you do a once over read through of https://etherpad.mozilla.org/ELTNA6O44F and mark things off that are complete / add things we're missing? THanks!
12:48:47 <atuljangra> clokep_: Okay I'll put up a patch asa I'm done with file i/o.
12:49:57 <flo-retina> "currently I'm finishing file i/o" haven't I read this for more than a week already? :-S
12:51:41 <atuljangra> flo-retina: Yes, I've completed it few times and changed it. I'm sorry for the delay. But yesterday I started everything from the scratch so that we can implement the newer file i/o mechanism. (
12:51:44 <atuljangra> *:(
12:52:26 <clokep_> atuljangra: I think flo-retina is asking for more detail about what that means.
12:52:44 <flo-retina> clokep_: I think I'm just being impatient.
12:52:58 <instantbot> nhnt11@gmail.com cancelled review?(benediktp@ymail.com ) for attachment 2563 on bug 2035.
12:52:59 <instantbot> nhnt11@gmail.com requested review from benediktp@ymail.com  for attachment 2565 on bug 2035.
12:53:01 <instantbot> Bug https://bugzilla.instantbird.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2035 enh, --, ---, nhnt11, ASSI, Tabbrowser tab needs an attribute that tells CSS what kind of tab it is.
12:53:12 <atuljangra> Oh okay. I'm sorry. Today is last day for file i/o.
12:53:23 <flo-retina> especially when I see clokep_ asking for the current status, and being told to read a report that he already read 10+ hours ago.
12:53:37 <clokep_> flo-retina: You're always impatient. ;)
12:53:47 <flo-retina> clokep_: really?
12:53:59 <clokep_> I'm teasing. :)
12:54:04 <clokep_> What does bug 2035 allow?
12:54:08 <clokep_> nhnt11: ping ^
12:54:26 <atuljangra> I'm sorry.
12:54:28 <nhnt11> clokep_: Allows non-conversation panels to easily set their tab icons from CSS
12:54:32 <nhnt11> including the alltabs menu
12:54:47 <clokep_> Instead of how?
12:55:06 <nhnt11> Instead of setting the "image" attribute on the tab, which sets the image src.
12:55:16 * clokep_ finds it suspicious that there's no corresponding CSS change in that patch.
12:55:28 <nhnt11> The idea is that retina support will be easier with the new way among other things
12:55:34 <nhnt11> clokep_: The CSS is in bug 2015
12:55:37 <instantbot> Bug https://bugzilla.instantbird.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2015 enh, --, ---, nhnt11, NEW, Display buddy list in a tab.
12:55:38 <nhnt11> (Uploading a new patch to that now)
12:56:11 <flo-retina> clokep_: that's a good point. But I think we already have a status=... attribute on conversation tabs
12:56:36 <clokep_> nhnt11: K, can you point me to the part of that patch that corresponds once it's uploaded?
12:56:44 <nhnt11> clokep_: Sure.
12:57:09 <nhnt11> flo-retina, clokep_: I'm a bit worried that this will mean the "image" attribute in tabbrowser-tabs will be a bit redundant after this.
12:57:37 <nhnt11> clokep_: https://bugzilla.instantbird.org/attachment.cgi?id=2564&action=diff#a/instantbird/themes/instantbird.css_sec1
12:57:51 <nhnt11> A new patch is on it's way to change the attribute name to "type" instead of "tabtype"
12:58:28 <flo-retina> nhnt11: do you mean you would like to get rid of the image attribute?
12:58:59 <nhnt11> flo-retina: Do you want me to change the aboutPanel code to use the new attribute in the patch for bu g 2035?
12:59:02 <flo-retina> I think the image attribute could be useful for example if someone wanted to write an add-on to put the contact's icon in there instead of the status icon
12:59:17 <nhnt11> flo-retina: Um, I can't say that without more research, I'm just a bit suspicious.
12:59:27 <nhnt11> Okay.
12:59:28 <flo-retina> if it makes sense, sure :)
13:00:29 * nhnt11 hopes flo-retina doesn't mind all the bugmail he's sending him.
13:01:22 <instantbot> nhnt11@gmail.com cancelled review?(aleth@instantbird.o rg) for attachment 2564 on bug 2015.
13:01:23 <instantbot> nhnt11@gmail.com requested review from aleth@instantbird.o rg for attachment 2566 on bug 2015.
13:01:25 <instantbot> Bug https://bugzilla.instantbird.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2015 enh, --, ---, nhnt11, NEW, Display buddy list in a tab.
13:02:36 <nhnt11> flo-retina: I'm going to put the css for the aboutPanel icon in instantbird.css too.
13:02:52 * flo-retina didn't know we had an about panel icon
13:03:02 <nhnt11> Um, it's the newtab icon.
13:03:07 <nhnt11> From firefox.
13:03:08 <flo-retina> the Firefox one?
13:03:10 <flo-retina> ok
13:04:17 <clokep_> nhnt11: So we could potentially easily set the add-ons manager icon now with this?
13:04:42 <nhnt11> clokep_: I'm trying to figure that out now.
13:04:49 <nhnt11> I don't think it makes it any easier.
13:05:32 <nhnt11> I think what we should do is, set the icon to the newtab icon from CSS, and set the image attribute to the favicon from the binding code.
13:05:51 <nhnt11> That way if no favicon is found, we'll have the newtab icon. I'm going to try again for a few minutes to get favicons working.
13:08:28 <nhnt11> flo-retina: How about setting the default tab icon to the firefox newtab icon, and setting the question mark one for [type="conversation"]?
13:08:52 <flo-retina> if it works ok
13:09:01 <nhnt11> ok :)
13:19:02 <nhnt11> Hmm. getFaviconURLForPage is returning a null URI :(
13:19:07 * qheaden_away is now known as qheaden
13:19:19 <qheaden> Hello everyone.
13:21:54 <flo-retina> nhnt11: I suspect the faviconservice cares mostly about http(s) urls
13:22:08 <atuljangra> hey qheaden :)
13:22:42 <nhnt11> I'm going to check how firefox does it.
13:30:58 <atuljangra> Will be back after "lunch" :)
13:31:49 <flo-retina> weren't you already grabbing lunch 3 hours ago? O_o
13:32:15 <flo-retina> the eating patterns of our GSoC students seem as strange as their sleep schedules :-S
13:32:45 <qheaden> :P
13:32:48 <nhnt11> Bah, I give up on this favicon stuff
13:33:26 <qheaden> It seems flo-retina has forgotten the appetite of students.
13:33:44 <qheaden> clokep_: About that Etherpad. I am going to update it now.
13:34:02 <flo-retina> qheaden: I was still 'playing the student' a year ago ;)
13:34:16 <qheaden> :P
13:34:45 <nhnt11> flo-retina: So I'm going with setting the image attribute only if the current page is the addons page, otherwise the default icon that is loaded from CSS is displayed.
13:35:29 <nhnt11> http://pastebin.instantbird.com/242060
13:41:34 --> mconley has joined #instantbird
13:43:58 <instantbot> nhnt11@gmail.com cancelled review?(benediktp@ymail.com ) for attachment 2565 on bug 2035.
13:43:59 <instantbot> nhnt11@gmail.com requested review from florian@instantbird .org for attachment 2567 on bug 2035.
13:44:00 <instantbot> Bug https://bugzilla.instantbird.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2035 enh, --, ---, nhnt11, ASSI, Tabbrowser tab needs an attribute that tells CSS what kind of tab it is.
13:50:35 <flo-retina> nhnt11: "+  list-style-image: url("chrome://chat/skin/unknown-16.png") !important;" why the !important here?
13:50:59 <flo-retina> nhnt11: I thought while you were at it, you would also set chrome://mozapps/skin/extensions/extensionGeneric-16.png in the css
13:50:59 <nhnt11> To override the previously set icon.
13:51:26 <nhnt11> flo-retina: I thought about that for a while but couldn't think of an easy way to do it
13:51:40 <flo-retina> have you tested that it doesn't work if you don't include the !important?
13:51:45 <nhnt11> I would have to add another attribute
13:51:54 <flo-retina> I don't see why you would need it; your send rule seems more specific, and comes after anyway
13:52:08 <nhnt11> No, but that's how it was done for [chat] so that's what I did.
13:52:11 <flo-retina> nhnt11: can't you just set the tab type to "addons"?
13:52:30 <nhnt11> flo-retina: Oh right. Obvious now you mention it.
13:53:10 <flo-retina> please try without the !important
13:53:21 <nhnt11> flo-retina: Yes, doing that now.
13:57:10 <atuljangra> back :)
13:57:28 <-- Optimizer has quit (Ping timeout)
13:58:38 --> Optimizer has joined #instantbird
13:58:58 <nhnt11> flo-retina: Okay, !important isn't needed.
13:59:19 * nhnt11 wonders why it's there for tabbrowser-tab[chat] then
14:00:06 <flo-retina> :)
14:00:28 <nhnt11> flo-retina: Is "Addons tab icons" a satisfactory comment or should I elaborate to something like "Icons for addons page in aboutPanel tabs"?
14:00:29 <-- Optimizer has quit (Ping timeout)
14:00:46 <flo-retina> context?
14:00:53 <flo-retina> where do you want to put this?
14:01:02 <nhnt11> Right abouve the CSS that sets the icon.
14:01:20 <flo-retina> isn't the CSS rule self explanatory?
14:01:24 <nhnt11> Actually I don't think these comments are even required
14:01:25 <nhnt11> yeah.
14:01:38 <flo-retina> a comment may be useful on the JS code that special cases the addons page
14:01:45 <nhnt11> /* Tab icons */ probably applies to all of these.
14:01:46 <nhnt11> Okay.
14:02:48 <nhnt11> "Set the tab type to "addons" so that CSS will set its favicon." ?
14:08:24 <instantbot> nhnt11@gmail.com cancelled review?(florian@instantbird .org) for attachment 2567 on bug 2035.
14:08:25 <instantbot> nhnt11@gmail.com requested review from florian@instantbird .org for attachment 2568 on bug 2035.
14:08:28 <instantbot> Bug https://bugzilla.instantbird.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2035 enh, --, ---, nhnt11, ASSI, Tabbrowser tab needs an attribute that tells CSS what kind of tab it is.
14:12:01 <mconley> atuljangra: hey - any progress on the stuff we were talking about yesterday?
14:12:42 <atuljangra> mconley: Hi. Yes I got it working. :-)
14:12:47 <mconley> atuljangra: \o/ :D
14:12:50 <atuljangra> Thanks for you time :D
14:12:50 <mconley> atuljangra: good stuff!
14:12:56 <atuljangra> Thanks :-)
14:12:58 <mconley> np - glad it helped you move forward
14:13:04 <atuljangra> :)
14:24:33 <qheaden> clokep_: I think I'm close to fixing the issue we found last night where people in the conference couldn't see each other.
14:25:15 <qheaden> clokep_: Also the one where you guys couldn't see that I left the conference.
14:26:07 <clokep_> :) Great!
14:32:19 <atuljangra> Do we have a function to check if a received string is properly encoded as Base64 ?
14:33:02 <clokep_> Won't btoa throw in that case?
14:34:17 <atuljangra> Yes, but I was looking for a cleaner way to check rather than using thrown entity.
14:34:59 <clokep_> Um...don't.
14:36:28 <atuljangra> okay. So while decoding on the receiver side, how do i catch the thrown entity by atob(argString)?
14:37:41 <clokep_> try { ... } catch { ... } most likely.
14:37:56 <atuljangra> oh, stupid me. :s
14:39:20 <flo-retina> having an exception thrown if the other user sends junk seems fine
14:40:25 <atuljangra> flo-retina: Ok :)
14:41:06 <atuljangra> clokep_: while sending an image, I'm not able to generate the same image on the other side. Is reading/writing from the image file have something special in os.file that I should care about? 
14:41:25 <atuljangra> I _guess_ there can be problem with encodings. 
14:41:58 <flo-retina> atuljangra: how does it look with text files?
14:42:16 <flo-retina> (I guess it would be easier to diff text files to see what went wrong)
14:42:41 <atuljangra> text files are working fine. I can generate the exact same file on the receiver end.
14:42:51 <clokep_> atuljangra: Btw I'm not sure if btoa can actually ever throw. :-S It might just give garbage.
14:43:13 <atuljangra> clokep_: okay. I'll look for documentation then.
14:45:01 <clokep_> And showing us the input and output files would help us debug. :)
14:45:52 <clokep_> (Although a diff could help too.)
14:46:01 <atuljangra> clokep_: not sure what you mean, should I show you the input and output images that I'm testing with? 
14:46:10 <atuljangra> cdiff in case of text files?
14:46:27 <clokep_> atuljangra: I'm saying there's no way for us to know what could be going wrong without seeing a diff or something.
14:46:30 <flo-retina> atuljangra: if file transfer works fine with plain text files, cleanup the patch and attach it in bugzilla. We don't need to have image support for a first patch we look at.
14:46:40 <flo-retina> and I'm sure we'll find some way to debug that
14:46:45 <nhnt11> Bbl after dinner.
14:47:07 <atuljangra> flo-retina: okay. plain text files are working fine. I'll clean up the patch, add some error handling and attach it to bugzilla.
14:47:24 <flo-retina> for plain text files, I would check that the md5 of the file is the same on both ends
14:47:25 <atuljangra> flo-retina: would that be okay?
14:47:44 <flo-retina> sounds like what I just asked ;)
14:48:10 <atuljangra> heh :P  Okay. Will check the ms5 hash.
14:49:00 * clokep_ assumes flo-retina means just running md5hash, not doing it programatically unless it's part of the protocol. :-P
14:49:34 <atuljangra> heh yes :P
14:49:47 * atuljangra back to coding
14:49:52 <flo-retina> yeah, just look at the md5 in your terminal
14:51:02 <clokep_> (And tell us the result. :))
14:51:38 <atuljangra> yes :)
14:56:01 <atuljangra> They are exactly same.
14:56:46 <qheaden> Be back in a bit.
14:56:59 * qheaden is now known as qheaden_away
14:57:56 <flo-retina> atuljangra: you aren't on windows, right?
14:58:12 <atuljangra> no, on ubuntu
15:00:16 * atuljangra wonders why? :s
15:00:40 --> EionRobb has joined #instantbird
15:01:18 <flo-retina> atuljangra: because open() needs a special parameter on Windows to not do stupid thing with binary files (especially with \0 in them).
15:01:59 <flo-retina> atuljangra: have you tried transfering a text file that countains non-ascii characters?
15:02:11 <atuljangra> oh okay. 
15:02:13 <atuljangra> no.
15:02:24 <flo-retina> your problem with images could be a character encoding issue
15:03:01 <atuljangra> yes. That is my guess too. Lemme see if I can do something to avoid that.
15:03:11 <instantbot> florian@instantbird.org granted review for attachment 2568 on bug 2035.
15:03:13 <instantbot> Bug https://bugzilla.instantbird.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2035 enh, --, ---, nhnt11, ASSI, Tabbrowser tab needs an attribute that tells CSS what kind of tab it is.
15:04:46 --> nhnt11_n7 has joined #instantbird
15:05:53 <-- nhnt11_n7 has quit (Quit: AndroIRC - Android IRC Client ( http://www.androirc.com ))
15:11:30 <clokep_> Should we not even be treating these things as characterst hough? :)
15:14:48 <flo-retina> clokep_: well, we shouldn't handle file content as characters, but if somewhere the content is treated as a string...
15:15:25 <clokep_> Which it most likely is at some point in the btoa conversion. ;)
15:15:36 * clokep_ wonders if we can go directly from the base 64 to an array buffer.
15:16:02 --> Optimizer has joined #instantbird
15:17:15 <nhnt11> re
15:18:12 <atuljangra> clokep_  https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/JavaScript/Base64_encoding_and_decoding#Appendix.3A_Decode_a_Base64_string_to_Uint8Array_or_ArrayBuffer
15:18:59 * nhnt11 wants to be able to open IRC channels from awesometab by bedtime (maybe not proper list support though?)
15:20:25 <atuljangra> clokep_: Should I use that function, if you want me to?
15:20:29 <clokep_> atuljangra: That seems like...so much code to do that. :( But you can try just importing it and use it.
15:20:39 <clokep_> atuljangra: I want you to use what works
15:21:16 <nhnt11> flo-retina, clokep_: If the user types something like "#somechannel" and it's not in LIST, does it make sense to display an item for it anyway?
15:21:40 <flo-retina> nhnt11: to create a new channel?
15:21:43 <flo-retina> or join #developers?
15:21:48 <nhnt11> Both.
15:22:03 <atuljangra> clokep_: Okay. As flo said, we are working well with plain text files, I'll upload the patch for that first and then do the additions.
15:23:19 <clokep_> Good.
15:23:27 * clokep_ would like to see a patch by his lunch hour in ~1 hour. :)
15:23:37 <clokep_> nhnt11: Um, what network do you show it on? :P
15:23:46 <clokep_> nhnt11: Also your service shouldn't know anything about "irc" IMO.
15:23:55 <nhnt11> Ah.
15:24:10 <atuljangra> clokep_: I've got a lot of cleaning and error handling to do. But I'll try my best.
15:24:27 <nhnt11> Okay.
15:25:53 <nhnt11> clokep_: I still haven't looked at how public MUCs are handled for other accounts (or even which accounts allow them) so I'm being a bit "IRC" specific for the time being. I don't intend for this to stay.
15:25:59 <flo-retina> nhnt11: when nothing matches what the user entered, I think we need to replace the list with something offering the same features as the current join chat dialog (less sucky if possible though :))
15:26:58 <nhnt11> flo-retina: Yeah, I was thinking of how to do that. One way would be to create items for each IRC (or other protocol) account available and let the user choose
15:27:12 <nhnt11> If the most frequently used account is displayed first, this may work.
15:27:15 <flo-retina> atuljangra: maybe for a first patch attached to the bug, cleanup the dead code / indent, etc..., and just add FIXME comments where you know you need to add error handling.
15:28:34 <atuljangra> flo-retina: Cool :-)
15:28:39 <clokep_> nhnt11: How do you know that #instantbird is a MUC and not a username for that protocol?
15:29:10 <nhnt11> clokep_: This is where it would need to be IRC-aware.
15:30:02 <clokep_> nhnt11: No, it CANNOT know that.
15:30:14 <nhnt11> Hmm. Mostly I was thinking about this so that I could test opening channels without doing any LIST integration. Maybe I should think about it later.
15:30:14 <atuljangra> How do I break this line at 80 chars http://pastebin.instantbird.com/242132 If I go by the indentation, it crosses 80 chars anyhow :(
15:31:46 <clokep_> atuljangra: I'd break that into smaller bits.
15:31:57 <clokep_> There are sub elements in there that could probably have reasonable names.
15:32:09 <atuljangra> okay.
15:40:32 <clokep_> Besides that it should be split up how we always do it.
15:44:54 <nhnt11> clokep_: There will likely have to be some awareness of the protocol in order to properly pass the values to joinChat, btw.
15:46:06 <atuljangra> clokep_: Ok. :-)
15:47:10 <atuljangra> Do we removing the debugging statements in initial patches or I can keep them? Will save me a time to rewrite them after submitting the patch.
15:47:15 <atuljangra> clokep_ flo-retina ^
15:47:43 <clokep_> atuljangra: Get the patch up first and just know we'll need to fix them up.
15:47:54 <nhnt11> atuljangra: Save a copy of it with the debugging and restore it later? :)
15:47:57 <-- gerard-majax__ has quit (Ping timeout)
15:48:21 <atuljangra> clokep_: Cool.
15:48:24 <atuljangra> nhnt11: Thanks :)
15:53:14 --> mib_amq7yq has joined #instantbird
15:53:29 <clokep_> No problem.
15:55:09 <mib_amq7yq> flo-retina while executing python checkout command a one just b4 make gave me msg that waiting for lock on ./mozilla held by ....... what i shall do 
15:57:07 <mib_amq7yq> clokep_ suggest something
16:01:59 <clokep_> mib_amq7yq: I've never seen that before, do you have permission to touch that directory?
16:03:11 <clokep_> Run ps and see if something is touching that?
16:03:12 <mib_amq7yq> yes
16:03:14 * clokep_ goes to lunch.
16:03:55 <nhnt11> mib_amq7yq: Does that error persist even after unmounting/remounting the disk, or rebooting?
16:05:12 <mib_amq7yq> i didn't get it
16:05:35 <mib_amq7yq> i didn't done anythng like that
16:08:08 --> myk has joined #instantbird
16:11:57 <-- flo-retina has quit (Ping timeout)
16:16:00 --> flo-retina has joined #instantbird
16:16:00 * ChanServ sets mode +qo flo-retina flo-retina 
16:20:58 --> nhnt12 has joined #instantbird
16:21:06 <-- nhnt12 has left #instantbird ()
16:21:11 --> nhnt12 has joined #instantbird
16:21:14 <nhnt12> Hi!
16:21:20 <nhnt12> I just joined this channel from awesometab :)
16:23:46 <-- nhnt12 has quit (Quit: Instantbird 1.5a1pre -- http://www.instantbird.com)
16:28:02 <nhnt11> flo-retina: Do you know if bug 837 will need a lot of work to be finished?
16:28:05 <instantbot> Bug https://bugzilla.instantbird.org/show_bug.cgi?id=837 nor, --, ---, nobody, NEW, Give new tabs opened via IRC commands focus
16:28:18 * qheaden_away is now known as qheaden
16:28:20 <qheaden> I'm back.
16:30:28 <flo-retina> atuljangra: what I usually do with debugging statements I don't want to get checked in but want to keep around while I'm not done is I don't indent them at all, so that when someone (including me) looks at the patch it's really obvious these lines are not meant to stay.
16:32:11 <flo-retina> nhnt11: I don't know. I'm afraid it's not a trivial bug; but once we know how we want to fix it, the patch may not be huge :)
16:32:30 <nhnt11> Well I'll have to fix it now :-/
16:32:51 <atuljangra> flo-retina: I've changed them so that all of them is of type |Cu.reportError("foo")| so I can identify them later.
16:32:58 <nhnt11> (Or later, but at some point soon)
16:33:16 <flo-retina> atuljangra: some Cu.reportError are meant to stay ;)
16:34:22 <flo-retina> mib_amq7yq: run "hg recover" in ~/instantbird/mozilla
16:34:23 <atuljangra> hehe, I'll change them in next patch :)
16:38:22 <-- mib_amq7yq has quit (Quit: http://www.mibbit.com ajax IRC Client)
16:38:25 --> Mook_as has joined #instantbird
16:40:41 --> mib_nonqxu has joined #instantbird
16:41:14 <-- mib_nonqxu has quit (Quit: http://www.mibbit.com ajax IRC Client)
16:43:50 * atuljangra finally pushing to bitbucket
16:46:07 <qheaden> atuljangra: What is your BitBucket page?
16:49:29 <atuljangra> qheaden: https://bitbucket.org/atuljangra
16:50:19 <atuljangra> clokep_ flo-retina I've pushed the code at bitbucket. https://bitbucket.org/atuljangra/instantbird-gsoc-2013
16:50:32 <flo-retina> atuljangra: where's the patch on bugzilla?
16:50:36 <qheaden> atuljangra: Cool. I just wanted to be a little nosy. :)
16:50:48 <atuljangra> qheaden: No pbm.
16:51:08 * qheaden has to try atuljangra's and nhnt11's patches.
16:51:13 <atuljangra> flo-retina: Do we have a bug already, or I need to create one? :)
16:51:51 <flo-retina> bug 9?
16:51:54 <instantbot> Bug https://bugzilla.instantbird.org/show_bug.cgi?id=9 enh, P5, ---, nobody, NEW, Support of file transfers
16:52:08 <qheaden> Wow, that's been around for a while. :P
16:52:13 <flo-retina> you may want to file more bugs and mark them as blocking bug 9
16:52:26 <nhnt11> re
16:52:39 <atuljangra> Awesome. Doing it..
16:53:54 <-- myk has quit (Quit: Instantbird 1.5a1pre -- http://www.instantbird.com)
16:54:01 <atuljangra> So I've updated my code th Filelink branch on my github. The patch would be diff between filelink and main branch?
16:54:10 <atuljangra> qheaden: flo-retina ^
16:54:30 <qheaden> atuljangra: Yeah./
16:54:38 <qheaden> That's how I create patches.
16:54:46 <qheaden> hg diff -r default -r filelink
16:54:55 <atuljangra> Cool. :)
16:58:40 <instantbot> New Core - XMPP bug 2037 filed by atuljangra66@gmail.com.
16:58:44 <instantbot> Bug https://bugzilla.instantbird.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2037 nor, --, ---, nobody, UNCO, Support for File transfer for XMPP
17:01:37 <atuljangra> qheaden: Do I need to update my repo before creating a patch, as I'm getting many other changes also, which may have been checked-in in default after I last updated.
17:01:46 <atuljangra> s/repo/branch
17:01:55 <Mook_as> atuljangra: yes, you should rebase first
17:02:23 <nhnt11> atuljangra: Yes, I always do a pull on the default branch and merge it into my working branch before diffing.
17:02:35 <nhnt11> Um, Moo_k beat me to it.
17:02:43 <atuljangra> hehe :P
17:02:46 <atuljangra> Thanks :)
17:02:49 <Mook_as> hrm. if it's a single commit git format-patch is nicer, but if it's a bunch, probably not...
17:03:07 * Mook_as is assuming by "github" you mean "actually using github.com and therefore git" :p
17:04:05 <atuljangra> Mook_as: I'm so sorry. I accidentally mentioned github. I'm using hg on bitbucket :) 
17:04:18 * atuljangra this is 2nd time he is doing this mistake
17:04:43 <qheaden> atuljangra: Yes! Definitely update default first. You might have to fix some conflicts.
17:04:51 <Mook_as> ah. if you were using mq, I'd just post that.. but if you're not, just, umm, something :p
17:05:06 <nhnt11> clokep_: I can't think of a way off the top of my head to make this completely protocol-independent. The chat room fields will vary for example.
17:05:38 <atuljangra> so I should switch to default, do a pull on default, switch to filelink, do a merge with default, resolve conflict and do a diff?
17:05:44 <atuljangra> qheaden: Mook_as nhnt11 ^
17:05:57 <nhnt11> atuljangra: yes
17:05:58 <qheaden> atuljangra: That's how I do it.
17:06:04 <atuljangra> Okay :)
17:06:59 <nhnt11> $hg update default && hg pull && hg update && hg update filelink && hg merge default && hg commit -m "Merge default" && hg diff -r default -r filelink > /path/to/diff
17:07:06 * nhnt11 felt like typing that out for some reason.
17:07:34 <atuljangra> nhnt11: Thanks :)
17:07:43 <qheaden> You can compact hg pull && hg update to hg pull -u
17:07:52 <nhnt11> qheaden: I didn't know that, thanks :)
17:08:00 * Mook_as wonders why he tends to use mq for hg, but branches for git...
17:08:26 <atuljangra> Mook_as: I used to do that too. It's convenient :)
17:08:51 <nhnt11> I'm using branches on mq too. It's easier for me when I
17:08:58 <nhnt11> I'm working with multiple patches at once*
17:09:07 <nhnt11> on hg*
17:09:08 <nhnt11> bah
17:09:12 <atuljangra> :P
17:10:00 <qheaden> atuljangra: So will your file transfer code use some sort of generic transfer mechanism, or will it have to be implemented differently per protocol?
17:10:58 <atuljangra> Currently I've implemented for xmpp only. I'll be using fileLink as a fallback mechanism, which will be generic.
17:11:23 <flo-retina> atuljangra: IBB is already a fallback on XMPP for when real file transfer doesn't work ;)
17:11:51 <atuljangra> hehe yes. But we need Filelink also right?
17:11:59 <flo-retina> of course
17:12:05 <flo-retina> IBB is a good fallback for small files
17:12:05 <atuljangra> :)
17:12:15 <flo-retina> you certainly don't want to transfer a large file this way
17:13:00 <atuljangra> yes, exactly. For that we'll support filelink
17:19:02 <clokep_> nhnt11: "clokep_: I can't think of a way off the top of my head to make this completely protocol-independent. The chat room fields will vary for example.", what part are you concerned about?
17:19:52 <clokep_> qheaden: I think your real question is "How can I implement it for Yahoo?" and the answer is that extra interfaces need to be done. :)
17:20:01 <nhnt11> clokep_: To create the conversation, I need to do setValue("channel", aChannelName). "channel" will be different on other protocols.
17:20:32 <clokep_> nhnt11: Fixing bug 837 isn't super trivial, it's hard to know how we opened a conversation when we receive the "JOIN" command.
17:20:35 <instantbot> Bug https://bugzilla.instantbird.org/show_bug.cgi?id=837 nor, --, ---, nobody, NEW, Give new tabs opened via IRC commands focus
17:20:45 <clokep_> nhnt11: Umm....no.
17:21:02 * nhnt11 didn't know other protocols used "channel" too.
17:21:12 <nhnt11> I thought that was IRC lingo
17:21:15 <nhnt11> Silly me then.
17:21:30 <clokep_> nhnt11: http://lxr.instantbird.org/instantbird/source/chat/components/public/imIAccount.idl#87
17:21:35 <clokep_> nhnt11: Other protocols don't.
17:21:45 <clokep_> I'm really REALLY confused about what you're talking about. :-S
17:21:47 <clokep_> I need a lot more context.
17:22:00 <nhnt11> Oh
17:22:05 <nhnt11> I didn't know about aDefaultChatName
17:22:11 <nhnt11> So I pass the channel name there?
17:22:14 <nhnt11> Cool, thanks.
17:22:26 <nhnt11> I can show you more context if you'd like but I think that's all I need for now.
17:23:03 <clokep_> atuljangra: Are you attaching a patch to bug 2037? I'd rather look there than on bitbucket.
17:23:10 <instantbot> Bug https://bugzilla.instantbird.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2037 nor, --, ---, nobody, UNCO, Support for File transfer for XMPP
17:23:18 <clokep_> nhnt11: Well I'm curious what you're doing eventually. :P And anything touching IRC code should have an r? me on it btw.
17:23:57 <nhnt11> Yeah I'll r? you on the LIST stuff :)
17:24:38 <clokep_> And request f? or r? from aleth.
17:24:55 <nhnt11> clokep_: http://pastebin.instantbird.com/242214 <- Some context
17:25:00 <nhnt11> clokep_: Sure.
17:26:46 <clokep_> nhnt11: Wouldn't you want to ask the prplIAccount for a list of channels or something?
17:27:32 <nhnt11> clokep_: Um. More context. That snippet is from PossibleConversation.prototype. The list of channels stuff will be done from the Service.
17:27:57 <nhnt11> PossibleConversation represents a single contact, channel, etc.
17:28:20 <clokep_> nhnt11: Umm....I still disagree.
17:28:27 <clokep_> prplIAccount needs to be in the chain somewhere.
17:28:44 <clokep_> You're requesting information from a protocol, the protocol implementation needs to do it.
17:28:53 <nhnt11> clokep_: Yes, accounts are accessed from the stats service.
17:28:55 <clokep_> If you're talking about joining old channels, etc...maybe this is different.
17:29:13 <instantbot> atuljangra66@gmail.com requested feedback from clokep@gmail.com for attachment 2569 on bug 2037.
17:29:16 <instantbot> Bug https://bugzilla.instantbird.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2037 nor, --, ---, nobody, UNCO, Support for File transfer for XMPP
17:30:55 <instantbot> atuljangra66@gmail.com requested feedback from florian@instantbi rd.org for attachment 2569 on bug 2037.
17:30:57 <clokep_> atuljangra: Request feedback from flo-retina  too please. :)
17:31:16 <atuljangra> I did.
17:31:17 <nhnt11> clokep_: The flow I'm trying to implement is, SS gets list of accounts -> SS asks each account for a list of channels/chatrooms -> accounts return channels/chatrooms async -> SS adds a PossibleConversation for each returned channel/chatroom.
17:32:36 * atuljangra finally something on bz
17:33:18 <atuljangra> I'll now do the receiver side ui bindings.
17:37:37 <qheaden> clokep_: Ahh okay. I'll have to implement the extra interfaces.
17:39:51 <clokep_> atuljangra: Umm...you didn't request anything from flo.
17:39:57 <clokep_> If you did Bugzilla lost it.
17:40:16 <clokep_> nhnt11: So why is there a buildFromIrcChannel or something? :P
17:40:24 <nhnt11> clokep_: That was WIP :P
17:40:33 <clokep_> nhnt11: "accounts return channels/chatrooms async", what interface do they return?
17:40:36 <nhnt11> Changed it to buildFromChat already
17:40:48 <nhnt11> clokep_: I was thinking just an object with the channel name and topic would suffice.
17:41:07 <nhnt11> Do you think I should implement a new interface, or perhaps just return a PossibleConversation directly?
17:42:09 * Mook_as gets the feeling things should be called chatroom instead of channel, to match prplIChatRoomFieldValues
17:42:13 <clokep_> nhnt11: I have a feeling it should return PossibleConversation directly, it can't be "just an object", it must be an XPCOM interface.
17:42:18 <clokep_> (I.e. for libpurple)
17:42:44 * nhnt11 forgot about libpurple
17:42:59 <nhnt11> Mook_as: I've already renamed everything :)
17:43:15 <Mook_as> right. carry on, then :)
17:43:45 * clokep_ doesn't want nhnt11 to waste too much time if things are IRC specific. ;)
17:44:10 * flo-retina doesn't want nhnt11 to waste too much time if things are libpurple specific. ;)
17:44:40 * Mook_as doesn't want nhnt11 to waste too much time on general principal. also, to repeatedly ping him for no reason.
17:47:14 * flo-retina pings Mook_as for no reason.
17:47:22 <atuljangra> clokep_: I did :-/
17:47:39 <atuljangra> I can see it on bz
17:47:47 <atuljangra> afk
17:50:39 <clokep_> flo-retina: I agree, but I don't think making it an interface is any harder. :)
17:50:50 <clokep_> atuljangra: It's there now, yes.
17:51:12 <atuljangra> clokep_: Cool.
17:55:14 <clokep_> atuljangra: Can you use 8 lines of context next time? THanks!
17:56:05 <-- flo-retina has quit (Ping timeout)
17:56:45 <atuljangra> clokep_: I didn't get the context :P Where?
17:59:59 <Mook_as> atuljangra: the unified=8 thing in https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mercurial_FAQ#How_can_I_generate_a_patch_for_somebody_else_to_check-in_for_me.3F
18:00:29 * Mook_as usually sets -UDe for qrefresh too
18:00:57 <atuljangra> Mook_as: oh okay. I'll do so. Thanks :)
18:02:03 <clokep_> Mook_as: What is -UDe do?
18:02:49 <Mook_as> update user (patch author), update date, edit commit message
18:03:24 <clokep_> Mook_as: Ooooo awesome. :) I've been wanting to be able to do the first two.
18:03:30 <clokep_> "edit commit message" brings up the editor?
18:03:39 <Mook_as> yep, usually vim in my case
18:10:20 <atuljangra> Do we have any use of notification box existing  in conversation window? I am not able to find one.
18:11:12 <clokep_> Long patch...
18:11:20 <clokep_> atuljangra: I don't think so, no.
18:11:31 <clokep_> Mook_as: That seems annoying. ;) I set those messages once and don't change them.
18:12:10 <Mook_as> yeah, I tend to use that as a review :) if you don't want it, drop the e? :D
18:12:22 <-- Even has quit (Input/output error)
18:12:37 <atuljangra> clokep_: yes. sorry about that. So I was trying to show a notification when receiver receives a ft request and send stanza back to sender based on user'
18:12:41 <atuljangra> user
18:12:46 <atuljangra> bahh
18:12:56 <atuljangra> user's response to notification.
18:13:09 <atuljangra> Any pointers? :)
18:13:10 --> nhnt12 has joined #instantbird
18:14:06 <-- nhnt12 has left #instantbird ()
18:17:01 <clokep_> atuljangra: I don't see a question in there. :-S
18:17:31 <atuljangra> clokep_: "Any pointers? :)" :P
18:17:53 <clokep_> You know what I mean.
18:18:25 <atuljangra> :)
18:18:36 <instantbot> clokep@gmail.com granted feedback for attachment 2569 on bug 2037.
18:18:38 <instantbot> Bug https://bugzilla.instantbird.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2037 nor, --, ---, atuljangra66, ASSI, Support for File transfer for XMPP
18:18:54 <qheaden> How can I package my custom-compiled Instantbird to be moved to another computer? I need to test it on two computers.
18:19:19 <clokep_> qheaden: make dist, I think.
18:19:28 <qheaden> Oh okay.
18:19:49 <clokep_> I forget where it ends up. :(
18:20:11 <atuljangra> clokep_: Thanks for the feedback.
18:21:13 <clokep_> atuljangra: I probably missed some parts, so it'll need a few run throughs, but we'll get there.
18:22:09 <atuljangra> atuljangra: Okay. So now I should address those comments and put up a new patch? or wait for flo's feedback too and submit next patch with the ui?
18:22:15 <atuljangra> ah sorry clokep_ ^
18:22:48 <qheaden> clokep_: Hmm, there seems to be no "dist" rules in the Makefile.
18:24:23 <clokep_> atuljangra: You do not need to wait for flo's feedback first.
18:24:34 <clokep_> (You probably shouldn't since some what he says will be the same.)
18:24:45 <clokep_> But if you're in the middle of finishing the UI you can wait for that first.
18:24:50 <clokep_> Are you doing it all as one patch?
18:26:03 <clokep_> qheaden: What did you try running?
18:26:04 <atuljangra> How do you guys want it? I'll just follow that. If you want me to address those comments first. I'll do it. Then maybe we can have another bug for receiver side ui and I'll post a smaller patch after this. Anyway you want.
18:26:28 <clokep_> atuljangra: Address the comments first.
18:26:36 <atuljangra> ok.
18:26:40 <clokep_> Some of my nits need to be done throughout the code btw, ask if you have questions.
18:26:49 <qheaden> clokep_: From the root Ib source tree: python mozilla/build/pymake/make.py dist
18:26:58 <atuljangra> sure. :)
18:27:16 <qheaden> clokep_: I also tried the -C option to change to the obj-instantbird directory one level above.
18:27:39 <clokep_> qheaden: I would run "make -C objdir dist" but I don't know for sure.
18:27:41 <clokep_> One second.
18:27:50 <atuljangra> I'll take a 20 mins break here and will put up another patch before sleeping.
18:28:12 * clokep_ wonders if Mook_as remembers how to create a distributable.
18:28:35 <Mook_as> `make package`, for mozilla things
18:28:42 <Mook_as> I have no idea if instantbird is one of those things
18:30:00 <Mook_as> looks like `make distribution` does... things, too. (I'm skimming buildbot logs)
18:31:20 <clokep_> Bah.
18:31:32 * clokep_ always get confused about these things.
18:31:33 <clokep_> Thanks!
18:31:46 <qheaden> clokep_: make package works.
18:32:04 * clokep_ wonders why anyone asks him things. :P
18:32:15 <qheaden> :P
18:33:25 <Mook_as> because you know who to poke on IRC! :p
18:33:40 <atuljangra> Mook_as: ++
18:34:06 * atuljangra wonders if that was  poking Mook_as for no reason :P
18:34:28 * Mook_as pokes atuljangra back. with a pen.
18:35:05 * qheaden wishes Verizon FiOS routers came with built-in WireShark.
18:35:09 * atuljangra jumps
18:35:24 * clokep_ wonders why that would help.
18:35:31 * clokep_ is jealous of FiOS. :P
18:35:41 <clokep_> Run a separate router after the Verizon one?
18:36:11 <qheaden> I just want a way of capturing all network packets without having to make my computer a gateway.
18:36:22 <clokep_> qheaden: So are conferences working 100% now? :)
18:37:18 <qheaden> clokep_: Not yet. Still debugging the "participants cant see each other" issue.
18:37:33 <qheaden> I think it has to do with logon messages not being replicated to each participant.
18:38:49 * clokep_ feels like that should be handled by the server. :-S
18:38:54 --> Mic has joined #instantbird
18:38:54 * ChanServ sets mode +h Mic 
18:39:46 <Mic> Good evening.
18:39:55 <nhnt11> Hi
18:39:59 --> nhnt12 has joined #instantbird
18:40:04 <-- nhnt12 has left #instantbird ()
18:40:30 <atuljangra> Hey Mic :)
18:42:48 --> flo-retina has joined #instantbird
18:42:48 * ChanServ sets mode +qo flo-retina flo-retina 
18:45:14 <flo-retina> clokep_++ for giving atuljangra feedback quickly!
18:45:19 <qheaden> clokep_: The server does handle replication, but I just found out that you must send the current list of participants in the room within a conference invite packet. I guess that lets the other client and the server know who to replicate the logon message too when they accept the invite.
18:45:43 <clokep_> qheaden: Weird. :-S
18:45:51 <qheaden> clokep_: Don't ask.
18:45:52 <flo-retina> " Nit: Space after { and before }." and also 'missing semicolon' on the same line!
18:46:16 <qheaden> clokep_: Looks like the server doesn't keep records of the conference state.
18:46:45 <atuljangra> flo-retina: Okay. I'll upload a new patch tonight before sleeping.
18:46:52 <clokep_> qheaden: Yeah, I wonder if the owner is supposed to keep state?
18:47:04 * atuljangra it's 12:15 am here, hoping to submit one by 2am
18:47:10 <qheaden> clokep_: I think so. Its kinda like HTTP and cookies.
18:48:31 <clokep_> Hm, OK.
18:52:01 <atuljangra> Thanks flo-retina  :-)
18:53:36 <qheaden> clokep_: Heh, just found out that the invite message was "undefined" because I forgot to pass a parameter to YahooSession.inviteToConference(). :P
18:53:50 <qheaden> Must have been a late night when I added that code.
18:54:57 <flo-retina> atuljangra: for the separation into multiple smaller patches I would suggested keeping only stuff related to XMPP IBB in the current bug (but please update the patch once to address the comments first before splitting it), and have a separate bug for all the .idl and basic UI stuff.
18:55:38 --> Even has joined #instantbird
18:55:38 * ChanServ sets mode +o Even 
18:55:41 <atuljangra> flo-retina: Fair enough. 
18:58:38 <flo-retina> atuljangra: it certainly won't take you 2hours to address these comments
18:58:45 <flo-retina> they are long to write, quick to address.
18:59:22 <flo-retina> It's the reason why we give that kind of comments during the community bounding period; so that we don't spend time on silly coding style details later...
19:01:05 <atuljangra> flo-retina: Okay. I'll upload it asap. Sorry
19:02:33 <qheaden> clokep_: Good news. Participants can now see one another. :)
19:02:58 --> unghost has joined #instantbird
19:11:41 <Mic> nhnt11: I've seen your "chatRoomFields will vary"  comment in the logs. Was that answered already?
19:11:48 <nhnt11> Yes.
19:12:15 <nhnt11> I missed the aDefaultChatName parameter :)
19:13:02 <Mic> I've had this problem before with session restore. I don't remember the solution but it can rejoin any MUC just by its name iirc.
19:13:16 <Mic> I'm only using it with IRC though, so I'm not 100% sure.
19:15:55 <nhnt11> Yeah, getDefaultChatRoomFields (or whatever it's called) allows you to specify the room name using that optional parameter :)
19:18:45 --> gerard-majax__ has joined #instantbird
19:25:39 <clokep_> atuljangra: flo-retina I think all the idl and basic UI can go in bug 9.
19:25:42 <instantbot> Bug https://bugzilla.instantbird.org/show_bug.cgi?id=9 enh, P5, ---, nobody, NEW, Support of file transfers
19:26:38 <clokep_> qheaden: Nice. :)
19:28:21 <qheaden> clokep_: BTW, how's progress going on being able to pref off the plug-in?
19:28:51 <clokep_> qheaden: I haven't made any progress / looked at it.
19:28:56 <clokep_> flo-retina: Seemed to want to do it though. ;)
19:29:54 <flo-retina> heh ^^'
19:31:41 <atuljangra> clokep_: seems okay to me :)
19:32:45 <qheaden> clokep_: Just read your BitBucket comment and I think addValues would be good.
19:33:56 * clokep_ figured you'd like that.
19:39:38 <qheaden> clokep_: How should someone specify the invite message using the invite command? Take the first argument as the username and the second as the invite message?
19:40:05 <clokep_> qheaden: The first is the username, the remaining text would be the message, yes.
19:40:39 <qheaden> clokep_: I was thinking of allowing the invite command to take multiple usernames. I guess if we include the message, we would have to make the username lists comma-delimited?
19:41:34 <clokep_> qheaden: I don't care if it can take other messages, just seemed reasonable, we could do comma separated, yes.
19:41:49 <clokep_> I.e. /invite <user>,<user> <message might include spaces>
19:42:00 <qheaden> clokep_: No, being able to specify the message is important.
19:42:12 <qheaden> clokep_: That format looks good.
19:42:44 <clokep_> Is that what is used for the topic?
19:43:13 <qheaden> clokep_: Not sure. I think the topic is separate. I have to check the protocol again.
19:43:41 <-- gerard-majax__ has quit (Ping timeout)
19:44:21 <clokep_> OK!
19:48:33 --> gerard-majax__ has joined #instantbird
19:54:32 <clokep_> qheaden: Nice simplification. :)
19:55:09 <qheaden> clokep_: Got your other comment about more simplification. :P
19:55:18 * qheaden needs to learn to write more optimized code.
19:58:24 <clokep_> Not necessarily optimized, (it's probably slightly less optimal), but it's better to reuse code.
20:01:27 <qheaden> I agree. The JS engine will probably do some optimization though.
20:03:43 * clokep_ just read an article about how JS is very slow. :P
20:04:16 * nhnt11 has read such articles too
20:05:04 <qheaden> I think asm.js is supposed to fix that. The Unreal engine was ported to WebGL in Firefox.
20:05:04 <nhnt11> I've seen quite a few comments on StackOverflow along the lines of "It's JS, who cares?" when people talk about efficiency
20:06:54 <clokep_> qheaden: asm.js is a particular thing, I don't think it will make random JS any faster.
20:06:59 <clokep_> This was also talking about on mobile devices btw.
20:07:11 <qheaden> Ahh ok.
20:07:37 <qheaden> I love the flexibility languages like JS provides, but I just can't get myself away from low level languages.
20:07:43 <qheaden> *lower level
20:08:22 <qheaden> I'm going to say C++ just for instantbot. :)
20:08:23 * instantbot frowns at qheaden
20:14:05 <clokep_> qheaden: So (sorry to ask this again), but what's our status? :)
20:14:27 <qheaden> clokep_: Conferences are almost 100%.
20:19:53 <clokep_> :-D
20:22:50 <clokep_> Any questions before I leave? :)
20:25:16 * clokep_ is now known as clokep_bot
20:26:27 * nhnt11 pokes clokep_bot
20:26:48 * clokep_bot cries
20:27:05 <nhnt11> :P
20:27:53 <Mic> re
20:29:47 <atuljangra> clokep_bot: botsnack 
20:29:49 <atuljangra> :P
20:29:55 * clokep_bot beams
20:30:22 <atuljangra> :D
20:30:29 <atuljangra> afk
20:30:29 * clokep_bot is now known as clokep_
20:30:30 <clokep_> Anyway.
20:30:46 * nhnt11 wanted to try clokep_bot: uuid
20:30:47 <Mic> nhnt11: the patch in bug 2035 is ready as it seems?
20:30:51 <instantbot> Bug https://bugzilla.instantbird.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2035 enh, --, ---, nhnt11, ASSI, Tabbrowser tab needs an attribute that tells CSS what kind of tab it is.
20:31:09 <nhnt11> Mic: I think it's ready, yes.
20:31:22 <Mic> It's got an r+ from flo at least ;)
20:31:30 <nhnt11> Ah yes, I forgot.
20:32:25 <Mic> We add [checkin-needed] to the whiteboard when a patch is reviewed and approved and needs to be checked in by the way.
20:32:37 <-- EionRobb has quit (Quit: Leaving.)
20:32:41 <clokep_> Florian probably checked it in locally already. :P
20:32:54 <nhnt11> Should I be adding that?
20:33:02 <Mic> I already did that.
20:33:10 --> EionRobb has joined #instantbird
20:33:32 <nhnt11> Okay, but in the future? I assumed that should be left for whoever approves/reviews it.
20:33:55 <clokep_> If they don't do it, then you can.
20:34:00 <nhnt11> Okay :)
20:34:22 <-- clokep_ has quit (Quit: http://www.mibbit.com ajax IRC Client)
20:34:53 <-- EionRobb has quit (Ping timeout)
20:40:01 <Mic> atuljangra: everything fine for you?
20:40:07 <Mic> Is there something I can help you with?
20:40:45 <atuljangra> Mic: Everything is fine :) Just addressing the comments clokep gave me on the patch.
20:41:01 <Mic> atuljangra: you solved your notificationbox problem?
20:41:02 <atuljangra> Thanks for asking :)
20:41:25 <atuljangra> Mic: no, clokep asked me to first address the comments.
20:41:36 <atuljangra> I'll ping you after doing that 
20:41:39 <atuljangra> :)
20:45:33 <nhnt11> Should I be adding a method to get a chat room list to the imIAccount interface?
20:45:42 * nhnt11 doesn't know if he should be playing with that stuff
20:47:33 <nhnt11> I guess that will be required if I want to communicate with libpurple..
20:49:11 <Mic> It's information that the protocol needs to provide for you and it's account specific so the account interface seems to be correct.
20:49:43 <nhnt11> Mic: The thing is, accounts shouldn't be forced to implement the method if they can't join chats.
20:51:22 <Mic> Shouldn't it be on prplIAccount by the way?
20:51:33 <nhnt11> Then again, they're forced to implement joinChat so...
20:51:51 <nhnt11> Uh, yes. Sorry.
20:54:40 <Mic> What would the method do?
20:54:59 <Mook_as> return [];
20:55:03 <nhnt11> It would return an array of chatrooms (a new interface for that is needed)
20:55:19 <nhnt11> Basically data from LIST, but parsed.
20:56:03 <Mic> How would it return the list?
20:56:13 * nhnt11 probably needs to start researching on how libpurple stuff works...
20:56:26 <nhnt11> Mic: It would accept a callback.
20:56:32 <Mic> Good.
20:57:27 <nhnt11> The callback would be invoked on RPL_LISTEND for IRC, for example.
20:57:42 <Mic> Would the callback receive all results at once or would it be called several times btw?
20:57:46 <-- MMN-o has quit (Client exited)
20:58:02 <nhnt11> All results at once is what I'm thinking, that's why at LISTEND
20:59:50 <Mook_as> you probably want to stream/chunk it, though
20:59:56 <Mook_as> freenode has... very, very many channels
21:00:09 <Mook_as> (and they take forever to list)
21:00:17 <nhnt11> Good point.
21:01:10 <nhnt11> Okay then, the callback will be invoked every "n" channels, and be passed an additional parameter at LISTEND to signify the end of the list
21:01:39 <nhnt11> Actually that may not be required.
21:02:02 <Mook_as> if your callback is an interface, it might have an extra method for "done"
21:02:34 <Mook_as> (see nsIStreamListener and nsIRequestObserver that is inherits from for an example of this)
21:02:39 <Mook_as> s/is/it/
21:02:59 <nhnt11> That makes sense, if it's an interface.
21:03:18 <nhnt11> Hmm, it probably should be an interface anyway.
21:03:20 <nhnt11> Cool
21:03:21 <Mook_as> might also want to take a look at nsISimpleEnumerator, but that's more sync, so it might not work well for you'
21:04:28 <nhnt11> Okay, I have a few interfaces to write then.
21:06:19 <nhnt11> Do protocols other than IRC have a LIST kind of feature to query for available chatrooms?
21:06:33 * nhnt11 has only ever used IRC for MUCs
21:07:09 <Mic> Maybe there's something for XMPP?
21:07:59 <nhnt11> I was googling about XMPP some time ago, but I wondered if any of you already knew of any protocols that support this off the top of your head
21:08:57 <Mic> I wouldn't expect many protocols to support listing chat rooms.
21:09:32 <nhnt11> Hmm. If it's an IRC only thing, adding so much abstraction seems a bit redundant.
21:09:42 * nhnt11 is researching this now
21:10:33 --> EionRobb has joined #instantbird
21:11:32 <nhnt11> Brb after a snack.
21:16:35 <Mic> nhnt11: http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0045.html#disco-rooms
21:17:55 <nhnt11> re
21:18:17 <nhnt11> Mic: I was on that page! thanks :)
21:19:40 <nhnt11> I wonder how servers would be handled for xmpp though
21:23:27 <nhnt11> Bah, shouldn't really be a problem I think
21:26:12 <-- gerard-majax__ has quit (Ping timeout)
21:29:01 <Mic> Users are posting at https://www.facebook.com/Instantbird sporadically and we've got no proper way to respond.
21:29:28 <Mic> :(
21:30:26 <atuljangra> :(
21:31:03 <atuljangra> we haven't updated the page for a long time :-o
21:31:26 <atuljangra> last post was july 6 2011
21:33:29 <Mic> A worse problem is that we're not in control of that page :(
21:34:32 <Mic> I tried contacting the owner two times if I recall correctly but in the Facebook message center it looks like the messages were never read.
21:34:48 <atuljangra> Then we can ask fb to take it down, right?
21:34:55 * atuljangra not sure of fb policies though
21:34:58 <Mic> At least I *think* that I'd see if they were read.
21:35:18 <atuljangra> yes, we can see that.
21:35:33 <Mic> They've got a form for that.
21:35:52 <atuljangra> Okay. Have you tried filling it?
21:40:51 <flo-retina> what do you need to get them to take it down? Do you need to claim there's a trademark infringement?
21:41:59 <atuljangra> flo-retina: I've no idea. But I guess so. We can tell them that we are the developers and we should be having such page for Instantbird.
21:43:50 <Mic> flo-retina: something like that.
21:43:58 <Mic> I had a look a year ago but I can't remember.
21:44:14 <Mic> I'm just writing a Facebook message to who I think is the creator of that page.
21:51:12 <flo-retina> FYI if we ever need to go that far (claim a trademark infringement), I registered "Instantbird" as a trademark in France a few years ago.
21:51:31 --> MMN-o has joined #instantbird
21:52:06 <Mook_as> that doesn't sound French at all ;)
21:52:12 <Mic> OK, that's good to know :)
21:53:16 --> FireFly_TB has joined #instantbird
21:58:24 <Mic> nhnt11: is there something that I'd need to help you with?
21:58:33 <Mic> (I'm leaving in a few minutes)
21:59:10 <Mic> atuljangra: you've addressed the review comments?
22:00:41 <Mic> atuljangra: you really don't seem to need promise.js by the way. The only time that an own promise is created is with encodedData. And this one is never used...
22:00:51 <Mic> *is for
22:01:04 <-- unghost has quit (Quit: Ухожу я от вас (xchat 2.4.5 или старше))
22:01:06 <atuljangra> Mic: Working on the same. Patch was pretty long, and there are some major changes. :) But still, can you point me to some use of notification box in ib?
22:01:14 <atuljangra> Mic: Yes, I'm removing the promise.js
22:01:41 <Mic> http://lxr.instantbird.org/instantbird/search?string=notificationbox
22:01:52 <Mic> There should be only one result that makes sense.
22:02:38 <Mic> How is the UI notified on an incoming file transfer?
22:02:46 <nhnt11> Mic: Not right now, thanks!
22:03:14 <atuljangra> Mic: Currently no way of doing that. Will implement it.
22:03:25 <atuljangra> I guess we can do something by installing observers?
22:03:30 <atuljangra> you suggest.
22:03:34 <nhnt11> I need to sleep soon. I plan to code all this up by Sunday. (Got a bit caught up reading some stuff, bah)
22:03:37 <Mic> I assume you'll send a notification.
22:03:54 <atuljangra> Mic: ok.
22:04:31 <nhnt11> flo-retina, Mic: Is there anything in particular that you suggest I can be doing for the next 10 minutes or so before bed? :)
22:04:43 <nhnt11> Maybe I'll look at that macgestures bug.
22:04:55 <atuljangra> Mic: how do I address this http://pastebin.instantbird.com/242401
22:05:37 <Mic> Leave away the intermediate XMPPFileTransferPrototype constant.
22:05:45 <Mic> Just assign it directly.
22:06:22 <atuljangra> oh :s stupid me
22:07:24 <Mic> http://lxr.instantbird.org/instantbird/search?string=.prototype+%3D
22:07:49 <atuljangra> Thanks :)
22:08:17 <Mic> np
22:09:57 <atuljangra> :)
22:12:00 <qheaden> Okay everyone. I'm leaving for today. I might do some more development later, but I'm not sure.
22:12:11 <nhnt11> Bye qheaden
22:12:20 <flo-retina> nhnt11: yeah, looking at the macgesture bug is a good idea
22:12:31 * qheaden is now known as qheaden_away
22:12:37 <flo-retina> atuljangra: "there are some major changes." what was the major change?
22:13:48 <Mic> bye qheaden_away
22:13:53 * flo-retina saw only nits
22:14:06 <flo-retina> (in the first round of comments we gave)
22:14:41 <atuljangra> like adding some error handling here and there, those aren't exactly nits. :P Anyway I took a break and have completed the patch, just skimming through the file to check if all the comments I wrote make sense and spaces and indentation.
22:14:52 <atuljangra> I'll put up the patch before sleeping.
22:15:38 <flo-retina> wasn't it the UI that you wanted before sleeping? :-P
22:15:53 <atuljangra> yes, ui + patch :)
22:16:12 <atuljangra> (if I'm not blocked by something)
22:16:37 <instantbot> nhnt11@gmail.com requested review from florian@instantbird .org for attachment 2570 on bug 2036.
22:16:39 <instantbot> Bug https://bugzilla.instantbird.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2036 nor, --, ---, nhnt11, ASSI, Section scrolling with swipe gesture broken in the log viewer
22:17:51 * nhnt11 wonders if 2015 will land tonight :)
22:19:47 <Mic> atuljangra: UI should be easy. Observe the notification, append the notification to the box (remember the example on MDN that I linked to) and accept/reject it when the button callbacks are called.
22:20:42 <atuljangra> Okay. I'll try to do it :)
22:23:22 <nhnt11>  Good night
22:23:29 <-- nhnt11 has quit (Quit: Instantbird 1.5a1pre -- http://www.instantbird.com)
22:33:32 --> wnayes has joined #instantbird
22:38:29 <Mic> Good night
22:39:27 <-- FireFly_TB has quit (Ping timeout)
22:42:28 <-- Mic has quit (Quit: Instantbird -- http://www.instantbird.com)
22:47:45 <-- mconley has quit (Input/output error)
22:55:49 <atuljangra> Good Night :)
22:58:10 <-- mpmc has quit (Connection reset by peer)
23:16:34 --> jb has joined #instantbird
23:22:26 <-- EionRobb has quit (Quit: Leaving.)
23:23:39 <flo-retina> atuljangra: if you are using a TextDecoder, can't this be what causes the problem with binary files?
23:26:55 --> EionRobb has joined #instantbird
23:30:50 --> clokep has joined #instantbird
23:30:50 * ChanServ sets mode +o clokep 
23:32:58 <clokep> nhnt11: Don't worry about libpurple please.
23:33:22 <EionRobb> I worry about libpurple ;)
23:34:00 <clokep> nhnt11: Other protocols theoretically support listing chat rooms, Yahoo used to.
23:36:14 <atuljangra> flo-retina: yes. That was what I was thinking. Problem with encoding. We can have separate bug for the same.
23:36:45 <EionRobb> looking in pidgin, the yahoo room list still works
23:37:19 <clokep> EionRobb: Oh? qheaden_away had read that they shut all that stuff down and there are no public rooms anymore.
23:37:50 <instantbot> atuljangra66@gmail.com requested feedback from florian@instantbi rd.org for attachment 2571 on bug 2037.
23:37:51 <EionRobb> http://i.imgur.com/uMVpmgT.png
23:37:53 <instantbot> Bug https://bugzilla.instantbird.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2037 nor, --, ---, atuljangra66, ASSI, Support for File transfer for XMPP
23:38:27 <atuljangra> Now working on the ui.
23:38:38 * atuljangra 5 in the morning :D
23:38:45 <clokep> Interesting....
23:41:42 * clokep goes to add to qheaden_away's TODO list. ;)
23:43:05 <flo-retina> clokep, EionRobb: ah, so that's one of the prpl where the list is actually a tree :)
23:44:18 <clokep> flo-retina: Nice hat http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5546/9057102668_bc7764eafd_z.jpg
23:44:34 <clokep> :)
23:44:45 <flo-retina> clokep: what's the state of bug 1979
23:44:48 <instantbot> Bug https://bugzilla.instantbird.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1979 nor, --, ---, florian, NEW, "Typing" indicator is never cleared.
23:44:54 <flo-retina> I thought it was kinda annoying to a few people here (including you)
23:44:59 <clokep> flo-retina: I forgot I was suppoesd to test that. :(
23:45:08 <atuljangra> flo-retina: Looking nice with that hat. Where is this picture from? :)
23:45:15 <flo-retina> atuljangra: Paris office
23:45:21 <clokep> atuljangra: http://claristamozilla.wordpress.com/2013/07/10/the-mozilla-paris-office-has-officially-opened-its-doors-en/
23:45:23 <flo-retina> I was demo'ing WebRTC at the Grand Opening
23:45:24 <atuljangra> flo-retina: Awesome :)
23:45:35 <atuljangra> awesome :D
23:46:13 * atuljangra waits for opening of Mozilla-India offices :(
23:48:22 <flo-retina> clokep: well, I think you were supposed to code-review, and our students already tested it (iirc)
23:51:15 <instantbot> Check-in: http://hg.instantbird.org/instantbird/rev/3aae8b5d40c9 - Nihanth Subramanya - Bug 2035 - Tabbrowser tab needs an attribute that tells CSS what kind of tab it is, r=fqueze
23:51:28 <clokep> flo-retina: Did anyone actually test it?
23:51:32 <clokep> I already reviewed it and it looked fine.
23:51:45 <flo-retina> I thought nhnt11 and/or qheaden did
23:51:51 <flo-retina> I'm not 100% sure though
23:54:02 <instantbot> clokep@gmail.com granted review for attachment 2549 on bug 1979.
23:54:05 <instantbot> Bug https://bugzilla.instantbird.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1979 nor, --, ---, florian, NEW, "Typing" indicator is never cleared.
23:57:11 * clokep doesn't have any contacts on Android right now...
23:57:38 * clokep wonders if any parts of bug 1587 can be checked in. ;)
23:57:42 <instantbot> Bug https://bugzilla.instantbird.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1587 min, --, 1.5, clokep, REOP, Re-sync build scripts with comm-central
23:58:14 <flo-retina> clokep: would probably need someone to look at them ;)
23:58:46 <clokep> :-D
23:58:57 * flo-retina is testing nhnt11's patch
23:59:05 <flo-retina> doesn't start well, Command+T does nothing :-S
23:59:22 <flo-retina> not even an error in the console :-S